1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wild plum jelly

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jul 30, 2011.

1. I would kill for pears! My ex DIL has a pear tree and I go and pick the windfalls but there aren't enough to satisfy my cravings.
    I have picked another 5lbs of plums this morning and the next batch of jelly is on the go - spiced this time.
    I have a friend with a Victoria plum tree, groaning under the weight of the fruit this year, who has generously said I can have as many as I'd like. They're not quite ripe yet so that is something to look forward to.

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

ooh I am jealous - I love plums!!! Enjoy

3. I'm about to go a greengage jelly and make cheese with the skins!
    Spiced??? Possibly!!
    Off to find jars n things!

4. I wasn't working from a recipe part-timer but will do my best:
    Put plums (I used about 4lbs at a time) in a preserving pan together with a cinnamon stick, a star anise and 3 or 4 cloves. Add enough water to come halfway up the plums. Bring to the boil slowly and simmer until soft.
    Strain through a jelly bag or clean teatowel and leave overnight. Next day, measure the liquid and add 1lb sugar to every pint of juice. Do not squeeze the bag or the jelly will be cloudy. Bring to the boil and boil hard until setting point is reached.
    The plum jelly is nice but unspectacular but the spiced jelly is very nice. It will go well with cold meats as well as on toast - says Mr C (2 jars gone already!)

5. Have just made a batch using stem ginger chopped up very finely.
    Yummy!

6. Jealous! Lots of apples around, but don't know where any wild plums are growing - live near New Forest. I also know where to find pears in a disused orchard nearby. Scrumped a load of damsons with Belle a year or so back - but am down to my last half jar of jam! My personal chef made Plumbrillo last week but it didn't set. Do you think he didn't boil it vigorously enough? I blame my wimpy boiling technique when my jellies don't set, but they get a bit stiffer when kept in fridge.

7. I want pears! I have however, just found a source of damsons. There is a field opposite the house that has everything bar pears: wild plums, Victoria plums, crabapples, blackberries, hips and haws, sloes, elderberries, hazelnuts and now damsons.
    I am out every day picking but am running out of things to do with it all. I shall make hedgerow jam that has all of the above in it once the haws are ripe but honestly, now have enough jam, jelly and chutney to last a siege!
    I have made blackberry coulis and frozen it as well as pureed plums and frozen lbs and lbs of both berries and plums. What can I do next? How easy is it to make wine?
    Kinsa - you probably didn't boil it long enough - it will still taste good though!