1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wild Bill

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Laphroig, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Why? I mean, just why? Setting a cop show in Boston with Rob Lowe as the chief constable? What drugs were they on?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

There's a lot of it about round here
    Two of our children were heard arguing on the playground about whose mum sold the most drugs:eek:

freckle06 and nizebaby like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not trying to outdo you but I had a long professional relationship with a girl whose mother pimped her out at 3 to finance her drug addiction.
    It didn't end well.

freckle06 likes this.
  4. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

But it’s set in Lincolnshire and they all have northern accents.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I like Rob Lowe and I thought it might be fun.
    How wrong I was.:(
    Northern accents? A Chief Constable who goes about investigating crimes? The world's thinnest crime story?
    No thanks, I shan't watch any more of them.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I hadn't realised it had started but I shan't now bother!

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Aw ...I quite enjoyed it..... I especially liked the young woman accompanying him. How nice to see a more than sylph-like over-groomed female in a good role. She shows intelligence, ability to work hard on her own initiative and I really think her character shows promise. (oops that reads like a school report!) Oh and I thought Rob Lowe had some good lines...
    Ahem... :oops: and I never realised that Rob Lowe is quite easy on the eye.... Kevin Bacon has opposition.

freckle06, catmother and Laphroig like this.
  8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I lived in Lincolnshire for four years and the accents (plural) are generally more 'northern' than 'southern'. One might expect Boston to sound like King's Lynn but it doesn't. Oddly enough, North Lincolnshire sounds more like my native southwest Lancashire than Yorkshire which is just across the Trent from Gainsborough. I suspect that it has something to do with Norse elements in the original dialects.

Mrs M and I have just watched Branagh's 'All is True'. Very enjoyable except for the comical accents assumed by most of the cast including Judy Dench. We have old friends from Stratford and can vouch for the fact that the lingo is much closer to Brum than to Mummerset. In fact, 'Upstart Crow' has it about right.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I found something on Netflix I actually wanted to watch!

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I quite enjoyed it. I don't think it's quite sure if it's meant to be comedic or serious, but I'll watch another.

11. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

@Mainwaring, I live in Boston and that’s not the accent round here!

12. Mainwaring

WHAT'S not the accent in Boston?

13. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

Thought it be more lighthearted, too much misery on the box

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Has it got a name?

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I thought it was not bad either. Not amazing but it's got potential.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think I'll watch it As a comedy.

Grandsire likes this.
  17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's not bad.

18. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

The Boston accent isn’t generic Yorkshire.

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I switched off when the Deputy Chief Constable said to the Chief Constable “Your full of sh1t”. As if they would speak to each other that way.

Also she was the one who sent out a video from her work computer showing the C C in an unflattering light. Nothing seems to have been done about it, I won’t be watching again.

20. Mainwaring

I didn't say it was.