1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WIKI on school website help...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by confuzzledtothemax, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Im hoping you clever ICT folks will be able to help me with something. On our school website platform (Primary) there is an option to add a WIKI on my page. What would I use this for exactly? I can think of ways I might be able to use it...but what would be the proper way?
    As I see it, the set up allows me to add an 'article' and then children can add to the 'discussion'..
    So...clever people...what is the correct use of a WIKI?
    It confuses me slightly! I'm sure it is something all very simple and obvious.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    Im hoping you clever ICT folks will be able to help me with something. On our school website platform (Primary) there is an option to add a WIKI on my page. What would I use this for exactly? I can think of ways I might be able to use it...but what would be the proper way?
    As I see it, the set up allows me to add an 'article' and then children can add to the 'discussion'..
    So...clever people...what is the correct use of a WIKI?
    It confuses me slightly! I'm sure it is something all very simple and obvious.
    Thanks

3. Well I am not sure what the "correct" use of a WIKI is but basically (like Wikipedia) it is a page where a group of people can collaborate to make a document. So in your case in primary for instance a nice example might be where you start off a story and then the children come in and add to it to build a story collaboratively. Or you could set up some headings on a particular topic - say - volcanoes - and then they add info to the different headings as they research and find details.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

As goneunderground has said collaboration is key. Wikis are good for any sort of collaborative student project. You could have small groups of students responsible for various pages for example. You may find some of the links here - with classroom applications of interest.

5. Thank you for your replies and helpful links. I'm glad it sounds like my ideas were along the right lines. I just didn't want to set it all up and then find I was using it in the wrong context!
    I'm looking forward to letting the kids loose on it now!
    Thanks again.
    Confuzzled.