1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wifi Dongles for pupil laptop

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kindling_not_vessels, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Probably not the most appropriate forum for this question, but here goes anyway.

I'm looking into giving wifi internet access to pupils with their own laptop so I can use our Google Apps based VLE as an intranet. Routing internet traffic through a proxy with a whitelist.

My question is this. Has any one experience of a Wifi dongle that has settings that can be hidden and password protected to enable this sort of thing.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? We use OpenDNS for filtering and I want to stick with this for teacher laptops and wired pupil machines, but allow pupils with laptops a more restricted view of the internet.

Sorry if I'm rambling and this is not an appropriate question anyway. Tired after a full day, loads of marking piled up and a parents evening on top.

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Your solution seems similar to ours - staff will have individual keys and the students a much restricted open key. Give them an open WEP key that rotates on a 24hour basis. Is it essential that they have the password hidden?