1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Widespread coursework fiddling?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Luvsskiing, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/banned-teacher-who-created-pupils-coursework-samples

Poor chap.

How come SLT weren't in the dock as well for excessive pressure? How come OCR didn't get banned for five years when they introduced the NEAs that allowed everyone to cheat online a few years ago? Before I retired, we had two decades of fudging ICT coursework in all kinds of ways. How come exam boards let that happen for so long without penalty?

As for the current Computing NEA, and the requirement that all students spend 20 hours on it but it's not worth anything, how stupid is that? It's now pretty common judging by dark web forums for teachers just to give each student 'samples' of past projects and let them sign in at lunchtime for 'supervised' extra time. A couple of websites even let teachers swap coursework projects before giving them out. Why have exam boards not been banned over poorly designed NEAs?

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

When I was doing my teacher training whole year groups turned in the exact same coursework and the exam boards never complained.
    A few years ago I was teaching A level computer science which had a NEA. I was pressured by my principal to give extra assistance to those who were not doing well. I asked for her to put that in an email and she refused.
    The NEA had to go due to the industrial scale cheating which has gone on for years. The reason it got stopped was due to the publicity, not the moral.
    If the banned teacher could produce evidence, an email would do, which showed that he was pressured into cheating, the SLT would be in the dock too.
    I once witnessed a Head of Drama putting sheets of paper into the folders of his students. He informed me that he was inserting a piece of their coursework because ,"its easier for me to do it". I also witnessed the same guy have a panic attack in the staffroom where he could not breathe. He was young with a wife and baby. The management ruthlessly bullied him into cheating.

3. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Yep, that's the way it was. Support materials telling kids exactly what to do, then endless progress reviews, feedback, remarking... the grade was a reflection of the kid's and teacher's persistence rather than ability. But I never stooped to changing their work when they weren't even in the room. Glad to hear the new spec CS has dropped the NEA. Oh, nice to see you back, Binary.