1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wide baby feet!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DilysPrice, Nov 12, 2011.

1. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hello everyone, my 1 year old has started walking! So I took her on her first shoe shopping trip-only to be very disappointed! She measures over the H into an I! They don't make them that wide- so we went for the best fit- a 3 and a half G. This doesn't make sense to me and I'm not sure about the fit.
    Has anyone had similar problem? Are there any other retailors out there apart from Clarks that would suit my baby girl? Help!

2. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hello everyone, my 1 year old has started walking! So I took her on her first shoe shopping trip-only to be very disappointed! She measures over the H into an I! They don't make them that wide- so we went for the best fit- a 3 and a half G. This doesn't make sense to me and I'm not sure about the fit.
    Has anyone had similar problem? Are there any other retailors out there apart from Clarks that would suit my baby girl? Help!

3. Try startrite. They do shoes up to a G fitting but In general are wider than Clarks shoes. However clarks should be able to order you a h fitting in certain styles. When I worked in a childrens shoe store (not Clarks but a family run business) we did this often. You might also find they suggest you go up half a size to allow more width, but I wouldnt recommend anymore than that. Anyway as your little one starts walking more and grows I'm sure her feet will begin to narrow down so don't worry! Happy shoe hunting! :)

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Throughout my childhood my feet were too wide for all manufactured shoes. Boys shoes in a size too big were the best we could do.

5. we took our LO for his first shoes in August to a local family shoe shop. He was measuring as a 4.5 H. They didn't have many styles in that fitting, but we got some Clarks that were an H. For his second pair (October, expensive business these growing feet!) he was a 5.5 H. I think he got a 6 H.
    I think if we had been fussy about the style we wanted we'd have had to order in too.
    I have wide feet too, which was **** as a youngster as those lovely girly shoes were all too narrow for me.

6. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Thanks everyone, I'm taking the shoes back and going to hunt for a startrite retailor. You'd think Clarks would cater for us wide footed gals a little better wouldn't you!

7. Quite how my mother emerged sanity intact from shoe shopping is beyond me - I had the narrowest fitting feet going (to the extent I only ever got the choice of like two pairs or even just one from Clarks), my brother then proceeded to spite things even more and went for the widest width fitting going as well!
    For what it's worth both of us as adults now shop just fine for shoes (no comfort at the time though)!