1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wicked SoW

Discussion in 'Science' started by billygoat, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Taught it a couple of years ago and have to say pupils found some of the topics such as extinction, aliens and a forensic science good fun. Was heavy on the resources but if you get them laminated you have them to use again. Had to amend alot of the power points for a set with poor literacy, very wordy.

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

To the OP - I hope you get the help you need, BUT......

Am I the only one who feels vaguely nauseous at the thought of a scheme called Wikid? I note from their website that they also have a 14-16 scheme called Crucial

If my current Y11s are anything to go by, they need to update it and call it Sick for next year.....

3. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

I've used Wikid since the pilot and I like most of it. I don't use the theme for all topics - the electromancer and pyrotechnics topics are two that are bad to the point of being confusing. Other topics A&E, Forensics are much better and the students love them (and you can feel the buzz).

I doubt you will find a scheme that works off the shelf (and you should be tweaking it to suit your students anyway). The scheme seems to be like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it!

4. I wasn't the greatest fan to begin, however it's quite an engaging SoW and some of the practicals are superb. I agree that pyrotechnics and electromancer are useless as far as the stories go - the 'magic' side of it really confused my low ability Y8s. Differentiation is lacking but a few edits here and there, making cloze activities etc is helpful. Using fiendishlyclever's SEN resources is a good idea too (thanks FC!).

Also, make sure you use the GetScience text book if you aren't using them as they're really useful for reinforcing (and sometimes introducing) the concepts for the topic you're on.

On a lighter note, I'm really enjoying the Species at War topic and A&E was superb too!

MA

5. I really like it. Those that don't like it struggle because it requires them to plan. Eek!

6. Our school did it for a while. The experienced/ imaginative/ willing to work teachers loved it as did the children they taught, but the inexperienced/ lazy/ and those who just want to open a scheme and teach what is on the page made it a waste of time and it failed the pupils. Changed back to a regular SOW with books and boring practicals!