1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wi Fi laptops and trolleys

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Hyrum_Graff, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I but Dell Latitude 2120s at the moment. Very robust with reasonable specs. I've been stung in the past by purchasing cheap consumer netbooks that last a year before being destroyed by careless hands.

2. Be very carefull we had loads of problems with this a few years ago
    a) 30 laptops won't go through 1 access point very well - you need multiple access points and they need to run on different channels - don't assume they will sort it out for themselves
    b) Charge - they start off lasting all day if charged over break and dinner - but how much time will the teacher have to check that they are all correctly and properly plugged in? - even so after a couple of terms I started having to rip all the powercords (tangled by this time) out of the trolley every afternoon to put some on charge.
    c) interference - do you know which areas of the school will work OK with wireless - we have a block witha wide band of interference right across it - to get wireless workign here you need to be a few feet away from the acces point - do you have the same problem?
    d) breakages - either deliberate or accidental - they will happen - laptops are not designed to be carted around by a class of kids all the time - they will get dropped etc etc - you need to allow for this. Good classroom management and a clear routine will help butnot eliminate the problem

other than than - and the fact that they cost more than a desktop and run slower you have have no great problems

Good luck - they are a great resource if you can get them to work for you!

Mike

3. I have to concur with the previous post. Unless you have a managed wireless network that dynamically alters the channels of your APs and can distribute bandwidth evenly amongst your client machines, then don't even bother. Having said that, on our network I can have thirty netbooks all watching streamed video from YouTube from two APs. Charging and breakage have yet to be a problem.