1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed.

nomad likes this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree, It means it in USA so why not here?
    And for all convicted prisoners they should not get out earlier if they behave, rather they should stay in longer if they misbehave.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How would that work for life sentences if 'life means life'?

Scintillant likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The most likely reason is exemplary behaviour during his first 22 years in prison.

Escape rates from UK prisons are miniscule, and almost all escapees are caught. Having served 22 years, and with only two years left to serve, it is highly unlikely that someone like this would risk being sent back inside for probably four years or more for attempted escape.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The European Court of Human Rights, although they eventually agreed that in exceptional cases whole life orders could be made by UK courts provided that they can be kept under review in individual cases.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

They are always absconding from the local open prison in my area.

8. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Towards the end of their sentence offenders are moved to low risk prisons as a transition stage. Their sentence eventually imposed was one of 24 years. This means after 24 years of a strict regime with all choices made for you, you are then released back into society.

Without help for accommodation or employment the chances are you willl soon be back inside. The prison population in England and Wales is 86,000 . it is the largest in Western Europe. It would fill Wembley Stadium.

The largest growing part of the prison population is middle aged/elderly man locked up for historic sex offences

Without help or support you may as well start buidling more prisons.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just checking... when you say open prison... do you mean Academy? ;)

10. Rott Weiler

That must be what's needed. If we imprisoned at the same rate as the USA we'd have some 385,000 people in prison. We actually only have a measly 83,000 so we're lagging way behind the USA. High rates of imprisonment in the USA have demonstrably created a low-crime country, so why aren't we sending more people to prison to get our crime rate in line with the US? I blame Brexit.

knitone and Scintillant like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd argue for building more prisons to relieve overcrowding and improve conditions for prisoners. I'd also argue for greater spending on prison to build in rehabilitation and education opportunities for prisoners so as to lower rates of recidivism.

Edit: and deradicalisation programmes and efforts to stymie the development of gangs in prisons.

12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

That principle should be taken further. Five years should mean five years, two years two and so on. In some exceptional circumstances a sentence could be shortened or lengthened, but in the vast majority of cases the sentence served should be the sentence given.

Time to restore some faith in the criminal justice system.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

The way the system works is as follows. If you are given a determinate sentence eg five years you are expected to serve the last half of it on license in the community - if you transgress you can be recalled to prison to serve the rest of it at any time . Judges do know this honest.

If you are deemed to be dangerous you sentence is not determinate, then you will not be considered for parole until at least two thirds have been serv3d. You still may not come out at the end if you still maintain you are innocent as you will be in denial.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Post of the day.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Is this true? My perception is the opposite (so was surprised). Have you got the figures that show it?

I know Japan has an extremely low crime rate (part of which is the high clear up rates, so if you commit a crime you know you're going to be more than likely caught).

I think dealing with low level crime in this country would be a good start. More average speed cameras on roads and more local police walking about would be my start.

Weald56 likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

I think my post needed the TES irony icon but it seems to have gone missing...:)

It was a comment on those who posted earlier supporting 'life means life like it does in the USA'

knitone and Stiltskin like this.