1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Nov 4, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm not looking for advice on my specific situation, but I am wondering about the young people I teach.

On Monday we had a local charity come into the school to speak to the children and raise awareness of a specific issue (which is pertinent to them - obviously won't say which one!) but as part of this all the students were given a bag for life containing information but also a few trinkets like pens, a refillable drinking bottle post it notes, sweets and stickers. Most of it reasonably useful.

The students were given it and most were fine of course - but for some, their first instinct was to lob it across the room in outrage - I'm not kidding, screwed up noses in disgust and hurled away in disgust.

Why?

If you don't want something you don't do that, do you?

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It's just plain rude to throw it away like that. They should have politely refused it. On the other hand why was the charity spending money on the bags to start with? This is one of the things that pees me off about charities. They waste so much money on stuff like this.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:eek: Blimey. Have you any idea what they hoped might be in the bags? Were they misled in anyway by the talk, as to the contents of the goody bags?

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Not trying to excuse them, but wondering was it an embarrassing talk? Was this a way to overcome difficult feelings?

Or was it just plain rudeness perhaps?

Whatever, not the sort of behaviour one would expect to see. Did the charity people witness this? Dreadful if they did.

5. anon8315

Well yes, it is rude - very rude - but why?

Why is the first response to hurl something away from you with such force and drama?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why? Because they're rude little ********!

I hope you put them straight.

Ditto about the charity wasting money.

What an example to set! Oh, you listened to us. Aren't you good? Here's a pressie. :mad:

7. grumpydogwoman

Why?

They didn't get what they wanted. They thought they were being offered a gold doubloon when it turned out to be a 2p piece.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I remember that we had to give a warning annually before the Gideons came that they didn't have to accept a Gideon NT BUT if they did they needed to look after it respectfully and take it home...Needless to say each year we found one or two stuffed down behind the radiators etc.

9. Rangdo_of_Arg

Rangdo_of_Arg New commenter

How old are the children? Just wondered. It sounds as though one of them might have decided to behave that way, to be centre of attention and then others followed the example just to look 'cool'. But yes, it is an ungrateful response that needs addressing. Personally, my instinct would have been to take the thrown bags and not give them back to the children. I doubt they would be used to this, but they would learn a lesson when everyone else has a bag and they don't. I'd keep the have for a while and if the children wanted them, they'd have to come to me and make a heartfelt apology to get them back. If they didn't, just move on and know you did your best. There is only so much a teacher can do. If you've got parents of kids who don't deal with bad behaviour, realistically, there isn't much you can do in the long run.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I blame the parents...

Or Ofsted. Both will do really.

foxtail3, midnight_angel and kibosh like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Well, there is plenty you can DO. It may not necessarily bear fruit but you can most certainly persevere in DOING things.

I don't approve of the notion that they're badly behaved and their parents are negligent so what's the point of trying to impose discipline or instil values.

I expect you weren't proposing that, Rangdo, but it's a short step from feeling impotent to just giving up on it.

12. anon8315

But they didn't want the bags in the first place, hence why they chucked them!

Just baffles me a bit!

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It must be a reflection of our 'throwaway' society.

14. grumpydogwoman

They were able to display their disdain for bribery and cheap tat. Whereas we would just think, "What a load of ker-rap," whilst smiling and appearing to be overcome with gratitude.

They're more honest. We're more polite.

Sure they didn't want it but, if they were going to be bribed/rewarded, they felt they deserved something better.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It could be as simple as them being horrible little *****s, where bad behaviour is condoned at home.
    Ugh.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some young people can, when the mood takes them, be appalling. Most of the time, they're perfectly reasonable and nice.

Of course, some are future psychopaths...

kibosh likes this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's the generation that is used to party bags! They throw away the tat in party bags so see no reason not to do the same with those bags.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Because for some everything needs to be an overreaction?

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Perhaps it was an easy means of expressing some sort of frustration with the session?

grumpydogwoman and lanokia like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because we live in a permissive culture where, through a consumerist mentality of 'get stuff get stuff' we have devalued the value of the stuff itself so that 'stuff' that is given for free has no value.