1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by dizzymai, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

For several years now I've thought that I would like, eventually, to lead a Primary School as a Headteacher. I came to teaching late, after raising my own children and working part time in various roles within different schools since my twenties.
    I've been at my recent school for 3 years now and have been promoted to Head of Key Stage and English Lead. I feel very fulfilled. I feel stretched, I feel excited, I feel invigorated by my role in SLT and as a class teacher. I have performance management next week and my Head knows that I am thinking of applying for Deputy Headships and is happy to support me in this, even though she has said she doesn't want to lose me. I work very well with both the Deputy and Head and we are a great team. We get on as well as share a vision.
    I am having cold feet!
    I am ambitious but I am now doubting my motivations- are they egotistical? I enjoy leadership very much but I love being in the classroom. My biggest fear of progressing is losing that class teacher role. That is the bread and butter of the job. I see our current deputy do PPA and paperwork and our Head working in her office and I am now doubting that I want to move on.
    I could wait a few years but, I am no spring chicken. In fact, my feathers are greying and my eggs are slowly depleting.

What I would like to know from all of you Heads/Deputies is-
    Do you miss class teaching?
    What do you love about being a Deputy or a Head?

I've posted this in SLT too.

Thanks!

2. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

I'm in my third year of headship, following three years as a teaching deputy. I used to claim that I was 'too busy to miss the classroom' but I do. As you say, it is the bread and butter of what we do. I get int the class a lot, I cover almost all course supply needs and management time, unless the slt member needs to work with me!
    There is no doubt that headship is a vastly different role to any other form of leadership, but you can make things work for you and be in the classroom a fair bit.
    Teaching deputy, especially if you have year six, is the hardest, yet most rewarding role I have held in primary.
    In short, you will miss the classroom if you love it, most primary deputy head ships will have at least a 50% teaching timetable though!
    Good luck....

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I have only been a HT since January but I love it. I teach 0.3 and I love being in the class too. There are lots of jobs for teaching deputies. You should give it a go! Good luck!

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I'm a head and teach 0.4, across the school. It's very hard work and you need to plan your time very carefully but it is possible.

5. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

I am a head and was a full time teaching deputy before that. I still do odd bits of teaching but don't miss it as much as I thought I would. As head I can have a huge positive influence on the staff and children and also rage against the political regimes and shield school from some of the utter rubbish they try to 'make' us do.

Do a pros and cons list, you probably know deep down what you want to do. Then either way go for it