1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why??

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

My school has GOOD teaching (ratified by the LA, ofsted and me!), kids achieve well in lessons but for the life of them CANNOT do it on a test! Why?

2. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

My school has GOOD teaching (ratified by the LA, ofsted and me!), kids achieve well in lessons but for the life of them CANNOT do it on a test! Why?

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

There's definitely a huge element of training involved when it comes to tests and in my experience when I was in the classroom, the children have to be trained in explicit ways to answer test questions. I wouldn't have realised how much difference it made until we did it for a few years and saw our results soar to reflect the teaching that they had all the time.
    Lots of past questions, Testbase type papers etc.etc. so that your staff have done that many with them, they can more or less write their own SATS style paper at the end! Good luck.

4. I'd suggest a good look at teaching precision and quality feedback. For me these elements are the key to success all round- confidence to complete tests well, present to an audience and to move teaching even further. You want to build children up in confidence to relish a test. Practising test questions/style etc. help and the analysis afterwards with them is helpful.