1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Dec 8, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Why do I seem to spend all my time at school running around trying to make sure the members of my Department are happy?
    Why do I end up doing everything for everyone?
    Don't tell me that it is becasue I am HoD: I don't remember my previous HoDs doing this and I don't see other HoDs at my school doing it ------ why me?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Why do I seem to spend all my time at school running around trying to make sure the members of my Department are happy?
    Why do I end up doing everything for everyone?
    Don't tell me that it is becasue I am HoD: I don't remember my previous HoDs doing this and I don't see other HoDs at my school doing it ------ why me?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I wish you were my HoD! I would like to be kept happy.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I do it too and I'm 2ic. That's because my HoD doesn't.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Maybe you don't trust people to do things properly. Are you a bit of a control freak?

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's because you care, about your staff colleagues and your students. Everyone knows beter learning happens in happy staffrooms and happy classrooms.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A more productive use of your time would be to make sure they feel able to get their jobs done properly within the limits of the time and resources available. Job satisfaction tends to flow naturally from that. What makes them happy is their own business - for some it'll be the job, for others it'll be home life or holidays. You can't please everyone.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You do care and that is lovely, but do you care a bt too much about what they think of you? Once I had acknowledged that they would never all like me I felt liberated to act professionally first and foremost, which sometimes meant being unpopular.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

You're not using that most fundamental management tool -you don't delegate.

10. That would be me.
    I get argued with so much it all becomes rather wearing. As a consequence I have given up keeping them happy as if I did, nothing would ever get done.
    I know mine royally complain about me behind my back and have forced myself not to care.