1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by hubcap, Jul 22, 2011.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I have been employed as a TA for a long time. I have had various roles, but nothing perminant. I am constanly asked to cover people on maternity leave, but when a vacancy comes up for a more perminany position, I dont even get an interview!
    During my time there,
    I was offered another job at another school and the head said they didnt want to lose me, so I stayed.
    I have recently asked to do my HLTA status, said I would pay. The head told me as I only had a 12 month contract, it would not be worth them letting me have the three days off for training!

2. Did you receive feedback as to why you weren't shortlisted? When you say you are covering people on maternity leave, do you mean you are covering classes without a teacher or are you covering for a TA who is on maternity leave?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

How long is a long time?

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

perminant, sorry! yes the feedback was that there were some spelling mistakes in the application. I have covered for a HLTA, just taking the groups and a level 3 TA.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Nearly 7 years. During that time I have gained a level2, level 3 qualification and am on the third year of a foundation degree.

6. Permanent.
    My advice is that when completing an application - do so electronically- type your statement into Word or similar programme - spell check then copy and paste into your form.
    Ask someone to check it over for any spelling errors.
    Sadly, I short-list potential employees regularly and this is something that would dissuade me if I came across another application of same calibre professionlly with no errors.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You are TA, who occasionally covers for other TAs, that would sound normal and nothing out of the ordinary. Certainly nothing to make you stand out for an interview if there are many applications.

Spelling mistakes in your application will absolutely get you rejected for almost any post. There is just no excuse and it shows the HT that you weren't that bothered about the post to make the effort to check.

If you want a permanent post then start looking elsewhere and start applying. That will make your HT sit up and take notice, thinking you are serious. If a post in your school becomes available you stand a better chance of getting it.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This is going to sound quite hard, but when I've received applications containing spelling errors, I've put them in the bin. Anyone employed to teach children, or support them in their learning - especially English - must have good skills in English and that includes proficiency in spelling.
    That the head previously said she didn't want to lose you is unfortunate, but you should have taken a permanent job elsewhere if it was offered to you.
    I assume that you're doing a foundation degree with the hope of one day becoming a teacher. If so, you need to work long and hard on your skills in English, because if you're submitting applications containing errors you just aren't secure enough in your knowledge and practice of writing to teach yet.

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

thankyou for your reply. I recently got offered a job at another school. As I work as a 1-1, my contract was coming to an end. My head knew that I had got the job, which was also temporary, he then offered me another temperory job at the school that I am at for 12 mth, which I accepted. Later a HLTA post became available for 6 month. I asked if

10. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

please ignore the last post. Thankyou for your reply.

11. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I understood why I had not got the job, but I am confused as to why I am unable to go for the HLTA training.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because by the time you have completed the training, your contract will be at an end and so it will be of no benefit to the school.

And ignoring your post is all very well, but we can all see and I for one am very sympathetic to the HT who rejected your application based on spelling errors.

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

what do you mean, ignoring my post? My training would be complete at Christmas. I am contracted until next september. Once again, thankyou for your opinions.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You posted something about now having another post and then asked us to ignore it with your next post. (Numbers 9 and 10 on this thread.)

15. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

oh yes, that was because I posted it by accident before I had finished it.

16. I am afraid I agree with the previous posters, spelling errors in an application form would definitely be a reason for not shortlisting, (and this is something you see with applications for all posts, including senior management). Ensure someone proof reads your application next time. The head is under no obligation to support your HLTA training as it will be of no benefit to their school, they have however, provided you with employment for seven years during which you are now qualified up to foundation degree level. I think you should be looking for a post elsewhere now if you wish to further yourself, just make sure you have filled in the application form carefully. Good luck!

17. Just to add, the HT may have wanted to stop you leaving, but are obviously not conisdering you as a permanent feature or else their SDP does not include HLTAs for their school...
    As such I would be looking for schools that would support you in this,as without your current HT's support you cannot move forward with this.
    I'm not sure what phase you work in, but remember that from Sept there may well be more openings for this status to be gained in secondary education.

18. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Thankyou so much for your kind reply. I have been so upset over this situation. It felt so insulting at the time. I will start to apply elsewhere.