1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why?!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lilybett, Jul 4, 2011.

1. First, can I make it clear I am not complaining!? Just baffled!
    So today I had a one-day job teaching Y5/6. I'd just sent the registers back to the office and was just about to get going with the first lesson when... the Y3/4 teacher rushed in, apologising that she'd forgotten to mention earlier that the children would be rehearsing for their end-of-year production. The rehearsals went on until morning play. Then resumed until lunch. Then resumed after lunch. They went on all day. ALL DAY! The children did NOTHING else!
    Why would you get a supply teacher to come in just to take two registers and then pack the kids off to the hall?
    It was amazing! [​IMG]

2. Wrighty1000

Wrighty1000 New commenter

I know!!! I've had that too. I didn't get it. Poor kids. They looked bored. I didn't mind. At least there is no marking! Just seems strange that the school was willing to shell out for that.

3. ooohhh....got a call today for work tommorrow and *fingers crossed* that will happen to me! lol [​IMG] we do deserve some easy days at least!

4. jj80 - fingers crossed you get this kind of absolute gift of a day tomorrow! £95 for taking two registers?! OKAY! [​IMG]
    I know, this was what made it even more cool! After play and after lunch, the kids were moaning 'Awwww, but can't we do some lessons with youuu?' and I pretended to be disappointed as I took them to the hall! Like, see ya! [​IMG]

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I've had a similar situation where they had an enterprise day, and spent the day outside in the sunshine painting things :) I suppose they might just need a qualified teacher to be there. Always good for us though.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well I'm off Thursday to teach year 3. Fingers crossed they'll be doing sweet F A too!

7. It might be Sports Day practice.

8. I love this thread. Fingers crossed!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The last time I was covering a whole school off timetable day the year group I was with were preparing a foreign meal. I spent most of the day strolling around offering vague encouragement, then got to sample the food at the end so I even got my tea for free. Bring it on I say ;-)

10. Anyone else get super annoyed when you have to watch the first hour of what looks to be a really good film, with 3 separate classes, and then never get to see the end??

11. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Not on supply.... but I spent 3 years watching the first hour of Ferris Beullers Day Off the last RE lesson of term and it wasn't until we complained we'd never seen the end that we did.

12. Semi-related. Was watching a DVD of the life of Jesus with my own class when I was full time in an open plan teaching area. One of the resident "characters" wandered by on one of his periodic stormings out of his own classroom and, as was normal for him, slowed down to clock if there was anything warranting his attention that my lot were up to. Stood for a minute and then happily shouted out as he wandered back on his way - "I've seen this one - he dies at the end."

13. I've already said my piece on here," Isn't it great-makes it all worthwhile- a day like that now and then!! " however remember that,"A lot of teaching goes on with little learning and a lot of learning goes on with little teaching!"[​IMG]

14. Reading these posts have made me giggle because although an 'easy' day wouldn't bother me, I have heard a supply teacher complain!! I was on my final teaching placement so was teaching 80 percent of time, she asked if she could do anything or wanted her to help teach anything. I was like no thanks. Then she spent day moaning saying she felt like an extra limb and bored... i was OMG!! you are getting paid to do nothing and I am doing all work for you for nothing, be grateful. Anyway after complaining to head, she didn't bother getting supply after that, I just took the class myself with the TA. Ha, stupid woman!!

15. Are you in current, permanent employment perchance?

16. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

That happened to me last week! Morning was spent in the hall rehearsing for the end of year extravaganza, afternoon was spent watching a concert in the hall. I wasn't complaining!

17. During the good old days of TP, when the class teacher was away so they'd get a supply in who just got to SIT THERE all day while I did all the teaching, I thought: God. That looks fantastic! Oooh hope I get called into a school where there's a student doing all the legwork!
    Had another good 'un yesterday. Not as ridiculously fab as last week's but still. Arrived to find the work had actually been set woo. And if the class teacher wanted them to read silently from 8.50 - 9.20, then that is what they should do...!?! Actually, we played a little Boggle - it IS nearly Xmas! Then up until 10am we went to watch KS1's dress rehearsal. Then a little English... Then a little Maths (worksheets)... Then this WEIRD Circle Time after lunch where we had to play Spin the Bottle (!) and do this unusual meditation... I nearly spoiled it because I had to smother laughter and I also accidentally read out the instructions half-way through ("You may wish to turn the music up at this point and get the chn to notice..."). Then I spent the last hour in Reception where I was required to stand around, sit around, read a couple of stories, ask the children what makes them smile and lead a prayer. Kerching!