1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why your school is struggling to find supply.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Oct 29, 2011.

1. I agree.Complete and utter disgrace, yet nothing is being done. Those in positions of 'power' are all crowing about world class education and how the new curriculum is fit for the 21st Ct - more like fit for the bin. Supply teachers earning the same as hairdressers? (and I have nothing against hairdressers - but did they study for five years?)
    This may be the last nail in coffin of my, and many other teacher's careers, and that is what they want. Why employ a teacher for £30k when you can employ cover supvisors on minimum wage? Sure, there is no education taking place, but what the hey. It all looks good on the council balance sheets.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Now, if only there was a way to ensure that the only permie teachers/staff to suffer from the effects of the SOA are the ones who never bothered their backsides to vote, or voted in favour of the SOA . . . .but sadly the pupils are suffering and another unfortunate side-effect is that many of our politically engaged and supportive, permie colleagues who voted NO, are also suffering (working in short-staffed departments and schools with less and less non-contact time).
    Dire.

3. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

The majority of teachers voted against it. A small majority of EIS members voted yes through scaremongering from the Union leadership who claimed that redundancy notices were ready for us if we voted no. This was despite the Government saying there would be no compulsory redundancies and no disbanding of the SNCT.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Of the ones who bothered to vote . . . . . . . .