1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why would you invite in a theatre performance to your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lardylegs, Dec 23, 2010.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

In a small rural school, the cost of transporting pupils to a live theatre performance is prohibitive, so it is much cheaper to invite companies to perform in school, perhaps joining with a nearby school to keep the cost down.
    The performances can help children with topic work, or provide inspiration for literacy work.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

the school I am in had one arrive to do pantomine witthe school..the kids love it....although someof the humour was occasionally a bit to hard for them to grasp.....but the kids loved the slapstick!

3. What is the range of prices for theatre visits nowadays? Do pupils make donations to the cost, or does the school pay for it all?

4. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Not sure how the pricing breaks down but our children contributed £7.50 towards panto this year, with the PTA paying the other half per child. From what gather the main cost is the coaches to transport all the children, I don't think the cost of tickets is too prohibitive.

5. Thanks. Transport is a big cost to go out to theatres.
    I meant in my original post, how much is the cost of a visiting theatre group nowadays, for comparison.