1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why would a head give false info on a reference?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by skigirl, Dec 12, 2011.

1. skigirl

skigirl New commenter

I am seeing a solicitor on tuesday. I have had a copy and I spoke to ACAS about her comments, they say what she has written is sex discrimination and pregnancy has nothing to do with anything. She basically left most of the proforma blank. She was my last employer and all organisations ask fofor last employer, if i cant give her that loks bad doesn't it, like there is a reason? I am anxious to get to the solicitor as my maternity allowance ends next month so need to get back to work!
    The info she put about sick leave was given to her by staffing, BUT saying that She KNEW the reason i was off so why didnt she question what she was writing and still put incorrect info.
    The ref proforma actually asked for info about absences! (this is a british employer)

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No, an overseas employer wouldn't generally be subject to UK law.

3. Yes. The official guidance is that questions about health should not be asked, or be on any paperwork, until after the job offer is made.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's not just guidance though, asking about health prior to making a job offer is (in most cases) prohibited under section 60 of the Equality Act.

5. I dont think you are, quite. The point of the equality legislation is to stop employers from undermining disability rights by weeding out potential issues before the interview. When you make the offer you can still withdraw it if the applicant has an issue that the medical profession says makes them unfit to teach. Up until now the decision was often made by an unqualified lay person and discrimination was practically impossible to prove.