1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why won't they stop talking?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ShadowMan, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

I don't know if this will work but .........
    Turn it into a challenge! Tell the class that there will be a competition and that your aim is to make them talk. They have to ignore you and get on with whatever they're doing (getting changed quickly) without speaking. If you manage to get anyone to speak, you win. If no child speaks - they win. Say that you will be walking round the classroom trying to 'trick' them into talking. You might for example, ask them a question or tell them to say their 6 times table. Usually they need to do as they are told but this is a fun 'game' where they are not to 'give in'. Maybe you could give a point each week (to yourself or the class) and reward the winner at the end of each half-term.
    I've used it very successfully with younger children. It's worth a try.

2. If your goal is to get them to change quickly, does it matter if they whisper as they change?
    Why not punish pupils who take too long to change irrespective of the volume of their banter?

3. Well, you could:
    • Insist they arrive at school in their PE kit on PE days - my son's class was asked to do this.
    • Change them (or some of them) over the nearest break/lunch time - amazing how they focus and speed up!
    • Give them a task to do once changed.
    • Try the 3 minute music idea - use music with lyrics or a story tape with a question to answer at the end.
    • Link silence very stongly to a reward - golden time?
    • Can particular offenders get changed elsewhere?
    • Ignore it and have several minutes of hell!
    To be honest it sounds like you need some general strategies since they move around noisily too. I can understand your frustration with this. Good luck!

4. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

I sometimes read my year 2s a story. They are quiet (usually noisy bunch) because they want to hear the story and come quietly to the carpet once fnished to finish hearing the story.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why have I never thought of that? I read stories a million times a day, but have never ever thought to do it in changing time.

Thank you for that idea, definitely going to do that with year 1 next year.

6. I have a class that sounds exactly like this one. They are loud and their default setting is to shout.
    For PE, I give them five minutes to be back, shoes on, standing in line quietly. Anyone not back will be punished in a particularly horrible way (this is exactly how I present it to them - I never explain what the punishment will be). So far, it hasn't failed, and the speed at which they must be ready means they simply don't have time to make as much noise.
    If it did, I would do exactly what I promised though!