1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY WON'T THE TDA CONFIRM OR DENY THE LIKELY AVAILABILITY OF BURSARIES FOR QTVI COURSES???

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by pangar, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Can I just say that if raising such concerns with the GTC or the unions is a fool's errand then asking the TDA to respond to any reasonable request is an equally dissatisfying experience in the current climate.
    Now that the roles which I have filled in the past are being routinely downgraded and gifted to underqualified and unqualified staff, I have gritted my teeth and endeavoured to acquire more qualifications* at a time when I am either unemployed or underemployed. A course provider in Birmingham mentioned that there may be some funding available next year from the TDA to complete a QTVI course yet the TDA have refused to confirm or deny this. Indeed, I received a belated email from them stating that they could not read the attachment which I had sent which- which is odd as no such attachment exists. I mention this because I was not told about or given any meaningful assistance to secure funding for a Rose Review funded course, thanks in no small part to the widespread belief that those in my position have outlived their usefulness.
    When I had my QTS recognised on moving back to the UK in January, 1998, I received no induction or instruction on the English system of education. When I took on management responsibilities in 2002 and again in 2005, I was offered no mentoring or induction whatsover. When I moved to another part of the UK I was again denied any 'heads up' with respect to the nuances of their system of education, and the less said the better about the nefarious practices employed to prioritise the placement of native probationers. Can you see a pattern in this? Well, it certainly can be argued, and I believe that it is about time that it was!
    * including a CPCAB (counselling), BSL 101 (sign language) and a PGCPSE (literacy difficulties) in the past two years.

2. RamC

RamC New commenter

The TDA national scholarships were available as of July this year to candidates wishing to improve their CPD in one of the key areas- and SEN is included, (http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/developing-career/national-scholarship-fund-for-teachers.aspx).

The emphasis is on the improvements the funded qualification would have for the school and the implications for your own scope as a teacher so it seems probable you could be accepted if you wrote a strong application. However, the application deadline has passed for this year.

3. I've received an assurance from the office manager at my local MP's constituency office that they will write to the TDA. They agreed that it seems odd that they are hell bent on shovelling out tens of thousands of pounds to each candidate with a 'good degree' to shepherd them into teaching when those with a proven track record and genuine commitment are being denied information. It also bears mentioning that many of us also have good degrees, a few teaching qualifications and superlative CPD records...etc. Not that it should matter, but many of us saw rather too much of Ofsted at a time when the core demographic for teaching could not be enticed into schools serving areas facing challenging circumstances. In short, it would appear that the Zaras and Julians want their balls back!
    I recall being told by various parties when the rumour about Rose Review funding for literacy difficulties courses began to reach those of us in the supply teaching netherworld. Eventually, they were disabused of that discriminatory take on the situation, although I for one was cut no slack when I was summarily sacked from my agency post when I fell seriously sick. Not only did the course provider refuse to lift a finger to support me as I sought to persuade a place of learning to let me run my research but they did not make it clear that deferring for a year was better than rehashing my individual research, which was marked down without fear or favour. As ever, one wonders how all that can be squared with any reading of the Inclusion Act? Naturally, raising such legitimate concerns is frowned upon even more now by those who are hell bent on fostering a climate of fear amongst teachers, with a view to whipping them into line all the more readily!