1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why will my dvd play on my laptop but not on my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kittylion, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I bought a dvd box set (2 dvds) from an Amazon seller. The first one played fine on my dvd player/tv but the second one wouldn't.

I put it in my laptop and it played fine - why is that?

They offered me my money back but they haven't got another - and it is quite hard to find and rather expensive when you do, so I have decided to keep it as at least I can watch it on something.

Is there anything I can do with the dvd which would make it play on my Sony dvd player?

2. kittylion

I bought a dvd box set (2 dvds) from an Amazon seller. The first one played fine on my dvd player/tv but the second one wouldn't.

I put it in my laptop and it played fine - why is that?

They offered me my money back but they haven't got another - and it is quite hard to find and rather expensive when you do, so I have decided to keep it as at least I can watch it on something.

Is there anything I can do with the dvd which would make it play on my Sony dvd player?

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Silly question - if the set is second hand, are both DVDs originals (not copies) and from the same region? In a set they should be, but it's not impossible that your seller has jumbled them up. If copies your seller might have used different disc types.

Check the bottom surface of the cranky disc - is it scratched or grubby? If grubby, wipe it with neat washing up liquid on a piece of tissue, rinse and dry it then try again. If scratched, return it to the seller.

Only other suggestion, put a head cleaning disc in your Sony player to see if it's the laser gizmo that's got dusty.

4. kittylion

Thanks MSB
    The set is second hand but both discs look original to me - my laptop and dvd player are both set up for Region 2 so I assume that's what they both are.

The disc doesn't look scratched and is playing fine so far on my laptop but I will try the washing up liquid idea.
    My Sony player is relatively new and plays all other discs fine - I think it must be the disc.

I'm really grateful to you for taking the trouble to reply to what I know is a very boring thread :/

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You're welcome kittylion. There's a lot more disc types than most people imagine and they're not always compatible between players.

Last time I bought a multi disc boxed set with a cranky disc I got a partial refund from the seller, then used the money to buy an individual copy of the duff disc. I suppose you could always plug your laptop into your telly ;-)

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

This is the most likely cause. I've had exactly the same problem on several occasions with 2 CD players. I haven't found the cleaning disks work that well, but taking the thing to bits and cleaning the lens properly with an alcohol-based cleaner sorts it out.

7. Try making a copy of the one that only plays in your Computer. Chances are that the copy will play fine in your DVD player.

Making a copy for backup purposes is legal.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Not in the UK, it's not.

OP, I wonder if the DVDs you bought are genuine? If they are ripped and copied, that might explain why they don't play in your dedicated DVD player, but are ok on the computer?