1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why we need to keep our students cool.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by dr_dig, Jun 20, 2017.

1. dr_dig

dr_dig New commenter

This seemed apt to post now as the country simmers slowly beneath the summer sun. Abridged from this article. This post is based on observations and frequency data over a shorter period of hot weather. Whilst analysing the behavioural incident data records a spike in frequency for a specific group of 9 students was noted (the red box on the graph). Now these particular student’s actions do not usually present as challenging so the presence of records for them over this period was unusual.

Here is a short list of the impact of hot weather.
    • Disrupts sleep
    • Thunderstorms.
    • Can lead to muscle cramps
    • Itchy skin
    • Sweating
    • Increased Thirst
    • Damp clothing
    • Sun in eyes
    So what can we do about it?

Future strategies to mitigate effects of hot weather.

• Increase frequency of cold water offered rather than requested.
    • Invest in fans.
    • Appropriate clothing teaching ideas.
    • Ice Pops at break.
    • Water sprays/Water play.
    • Water/ice sensory activities.
    • Staff modelling of ‘You look hot’ (i.e. warm) backed up with signs and symbols
    • Housekeeping staff to be directed to open windows in morning.
    • Encourage outside play in shade
    What are your strategies for keeping cool?

galerider123 and Dodros like this.
  2. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

I turn on the air-conditioning. The only problem is when I go outside, my glasses steam up! :cool:

A more (practical) solution for UK people is an ice pack/bottle of frozen water pressed against the wrist. Lots of veins/arteries close to the surface there, so it quickly cools the blood. If you use the bottle, you can drink it too as it melts!

dr_dig likes this.
  3. dr_dig

dr_dig New commenter

I like that idea, simple and effective.

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

In Germany, a procedure known as "Hitzefrei" applies when the classroom temperature exceeds 29°C. In such circumstances, the Head Teacher has the authority to send students home.

galerider123 and dr_dig like this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I invigilate in retirement.
    Schools invest a lot to try and improve results, but then seem content to let then take exams in conditions were they are literaly falling asleep due to high temperatures and the lack of air in exam halls. Sorting that out would seem a good way to improve results.

galerider123 likes this.