1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why was the 'Opinion' thread culled?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Mar 16, 2016.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I used to enjoy reading and occasionally posting in the 'Opinion' thread, but some months ago, it was dropped during a re-vamp of the site.

Now I understand that most stuff of that nature now gets discussed in 'Personal', but why did it happen?

Is it like teachers can't have opinions or something.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

How long have you got?

RedQuilt likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There was no Opinion forum... do not speak of this again.

lexus300 likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

<click> ...and we're back in the room.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No other object has been misidentified as an Opinion forum more often then the planet Venus.

lanokia likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We are not allowed to have opinions. If anyone expresses an opinion the shrinking violets run to the moderators.

Erin_Rhys likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Beige is now our world.

Erin_Rhys likes this.
  8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Well my O.P. certainly has generated many responses, but as much as I appreciate the humour, can anyone give me a serious answer.

My opinion, if I’m allowed to use that word! is this: I heard some new schools were being built without a staffroom – to keep the worker bees, in their classrooms and also so they can’t congregate together to gossip and plot against the powers that be! In a similar way, the ending of the ‘Opinion’ thread is the electronic equivalent of this.

I understand important educational issues are being debated in the ‘Personal’ forum, but last night for example, to see the thread “All schools to become academies – official” alongside “Series 2: Happy Valley” (whatever that is) just detracts form the importance of the educational matter.

Am I on the right lines?

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

" Opinions are like like *******, everybody has one." Clint Eastwood, Dirty harry, The Dead Pool

PS It is time to de-Wilshaw your picture, you have made your point and made us all feel sick.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
    s10327 likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

[​IMG]

lexus300 likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Coming soon, to a classroom motivational poster near you.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You may not be even on the right railway

Further than that this deponent will not venture

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, the business that runs TES decided to stop offering that service. Maybe they looked at traffic numbers and thought 'hmm, we should merge some of these forums'.

Maybe they thought 'we have workers spending a lot of time moderating this forum, if we scrap it then we can use our resources better'.

People are still discussing stuff... look at the threads in response to the news about Academisation... no-one is being suppressed.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's a whole new section for education news if you want to discuss that sort of thing separately.

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I believe they are. Or, if not suppressed, deleted.

Erin_Rhys and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On the Academy's threads? I didn't notice... who's been deleted?

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I meant in general.

Erin_Rhys likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh... I meant on the subject of Academies.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Give it time!

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

At the College where I worked, the first thing they did after Incorporation was to disband the staff rooms and the staff common room for exactly the same reason. That was back in 1993.