1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why the difference?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by dave4812, Dec 13, 2012.

1. I have wondered this for some time now, so hope you all can help. In one of my previous schools we had no chance setting after school detentions because the HT would always back down if a parent refused to let the child stay, telling us to set two lunchtimes instead. Yet in my friends academy they can do as they like. If a child misbehaves the parent is rung up and told the child will be staying behind that night for a detention, if they refuse/awkward the child is sent home with a letter the same night telling the parent the child is suspended until the parent comes into school to discuss the childs future. The parent is then told that is the rule and if they don't like it then take them elsewhere, if the parent backs down the child returns to school and then automatically gets a weeks detentions. I have met many colleagues who have noted this difference, can you help explain?

2. I have wondered this for some time now, so hope you all can help. In one of my previous schools we had no chance setting after school detentions because the HT would always back down if a parent refused to let the child stay, telling us to set two lunchtimes instead. Yet in my friends academy they can do as they like. If a child misbehaves the parent is rung up and told the child will be staying behind that night for a detention, if they refuse/awkward the child is sent home with a letter the same night telling the parent the child is suspended until the parent comes into school to discuss the childs future. The parent is then told that is the rule and if they don't like it then take them elsewhere, if the parent backs down the child returns to school and then automatically gets a weeks detentions. I have met many colleagues who have noted this difference, can you help explain?

3. The difference? A backbone?

4. I take that point entirely, but what I am driving at is do they have different rules, officially, to the rest of us? If not, then we have been let down badly by the authorities for years.

5. re

re New commenter

The difference is that the head of the academy is not worried about falling rolls - he/she might have a shrinking school with this policy to start with but it should pay dividends in the long term with improved behaviour and more supportive parents. They do not have different rules. All schools could take this hard line.

6. Agree entirely, I always made this point to HT's, but the blind panic about losing numbers was evident.If only they had some back-bone then things would be better for pupils and staff.

7. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Completely agree with the above. Any school can do this, if they have a spine and a bit of tenacity. It sounds like a suicide option at first, but soon enough children would realise that they had no option but to bend to the community will. And behaviour would improve. And lessons would improve and children could learn. I'm amazed that more schools don't do this. Actually, I'm not :) Tom

8. Nice one Tom.

9. emmaushead

emmaushead New commenter

Absolutely - well said all!