1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why/should private school staff strike too?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Many independent school staff are part of the Teachers' Pension Scheme. They'd rather like their benefits protected, too.

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

In addition to Middlemarch's information, there are also proposals to make membership of the TPS out of bounds forthose teaching in the privatte sector. That would create serious issues for those teachers given that the scarcity of jobs in the State system at the moment would make moving sectors to protect their pensions very difficult.

3. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I agree that private sector teachers have a stake in the strike but I don't think the Government would care if it shut down all private schools for the day. I'm not saying they are right, but I think that would be the view.

4. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

You may be right, Middlemarch, but I don't think this Government is so bothered about traditional Tory voters, especially with the Liberals' attitude to private education. I suspect there may be people in the Liberal Democrats who quite like the idea of private sector schools having problems. The Government know they need to appeal to the a wider cross section of voters; more people will be upset if lots of state schools are closed for the day. Have a look at the "Tory press"; they are not at all happy with the current Government.
    I am not trying to argue that this should be the Government view; I'm just stating what I think tp be likely.