1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why, oh why?

Discussion in 'Music' started by fretless, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Why do I always seem to have some pupils who have chosen to do Music GCSE or BTEC who refuse to do performing? They were told repeatedly when going through the options process that the course included performing and they have been told repeatedly since starting the course - they have taken part in whole class and small group performing activities. Now that the deadline for GCSE coursework and for the BTEC performance is rapidly approaching the complaining has started. "I'm not singing/playing and you can't make me" " If she isn't doing it I'm not doing it" "I'm not going to turn up for the performance". I have done all the supportive stuff and provided easier parts, encouragement, arranged extra sessions etc. I feel like I just want to scream "well why the hell did you choose the subject then?". Grrrr! Just needed to have a rant!

2. Totally agree!

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Can you stick them in a room with a recorder and get them to record themselves? No scary audience; just them and a little machine?!
    They can make mistakes, they can try again, but they're not leaving that room until they have a 'take' to send to the exam board...?

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Have these "refusers" been performing throughout the course? It sounds as if the first time they are being asked to give a formal performance is for the final assessment, which surely can't be right, can it?

5. Every year, I have to accept students who don't play an instrument or sing/aren't interested in music/don't care about their grades. They are placed in the music class to make up numbers and affect the morale of everyone in the class. It is an issue and so far, no amount of cajoling has produced their coursework.

6. Yes, i was given some of these in my last school and, as far as I know, that practice is still going on there. I was not allowed to not enter any of them. Of course, they then sap up all your energy trying to get them even a low grade while your able students are not given the attention they deserve.
    Dreadful.

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

It's a long drop then.