1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why, oh why?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by SmellyEl, Jul 4, 2011.

1. do Ofsted have to call today to come in on Wedndesday & Thursday. We thought they had forgotten!

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Oh dear
    Can we be of any assistance?
    Mind you, you have always struck me as a very well organised HoD so I'm sure all the paperwork is in order and all your dept needs to focus on is <u>proving</u> the progress in each lesson they teach!

3. Thankyou for your support. Yes, all paperwork is in order, so now I am sorting my lessons. Luckily I only have 2 x Y8 (different classes) so can do the same lesson.
    The problem is: topic is perfect tense (French) and they are in the middle of writing a diary for last week. The initial intention (last week) was 'OK, you know what you know what you are doing, get on with it' I need to think up a starter, and exercises to recap and lead in
    to what they are doing.
    We have been told there will be 2 x 20 mins obs each lesson - 4 inspectors

4. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

What is the new learning? Can you take a slant such as 'sequencing words' or conjunctions they don't already know?
    MM

5. marmot.morveux

This would suit your diary quite well...your objectives could be;
    Know how sequencing words could improve a piece of work
    Understand how to redraft and improve a piece of work
    To be able to redraft and improve a diary entry
    They wouldn't need to redraft the whole thing but it could demonstrate to the inspectors that progress is being made. They could then peer assess to check that everyone is using sequencing words correctly.
    MM

6. Thankyou. I have been working on connectives and time expressions as well so am intending to do a started based on this, then simple sentences adding both.
    I am using GCSE terms with them already so will continue with that.
    Basically, I will have them 'doing' led exercises for half lesson then getting on with diary. However, I will have a 'bring together' exercise just in case inspector comes in the second half.

7. maa09

maa09 New commenter

Have you seen the report from Ofsted about MFL published at the end of last year? It seems they are very keen on target langauge at the moment, especially if you can get the pupils to produce some spontaneously! Also Ofsted are very keen on group work at the moment it seems.

8. marmot.morveux

They're also keen on ALL pupils showing progress and ICT to enhance learning - I hate it but it 'ticks' a box!
    Therefore, if you have any mini-whiteboards these can show that all pupils understand what they're doing and why, or the pupils could demonstrating learning by a 'show of fingers'. If you have an interactive whiteboard, if they could be using that in some way, the inspectors also like it....They also like 'active' learning - ie any activity that shows challenge and engagement and thinking skills. ....all advice from someone who has had HMI in numerous times during the last year....
    MM

9. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

At least you can relax over the summer without worrying about when they will come in next year! [​IMG]

10. mpc

mpc

Having been 'done' recently, I would say that Ofsted are big into AFL at the moment and appropriate use of TL.
    Could you do an odd-one-out as a starter to revise language covered?
    Will be thinking of you,
    mpc [​IMG]

11. mpc

mpc

Just been done and Ofsted were keen on AFL - showing progress and kids knowing what they needed to progress further.
    How's about an odd-one-out as a starter?
    Will be thinking of you,
    mpc [​IMG]

12. mpc

mpc

Ofsted, fortunately, didn't pick up on the fact that I repeat myself!

13. Having just been 'done' in a department inspection I can confirm that the key thing they are looking for is progress and AFL. Target language didn't get much of a mention but we made sure on lesson plans that each activity had an outcome so that progress could be judged. I used mini whiteboards, pairwork and had students moving (was doing forming questions in German so had words on paper for boys to put into the correct word order) and that went down quite well.
    Good luck!

14. marmot.morveux

Good luck!
    MM

15. Hee hee, wasn't seen today. Is a shame really as my classes were asking and answering some really good questions, as well as looking back in books for grammar patterns. I also got away without having to have a professional discussion with them!
    Add to that, I'm not teaching tomorrow as I am out of school - everyone is off timetable for an activity day. They will be watching this but only to see if we are prepared to muck in and lern new skills with the pupils.
    Thanks for all of your thoughts and support x

16. mpc

mpc

All the best for tomorrow (and a positive outcome, of course).
    It always does feel a bit of a let-down when you're not seen, I think.

17. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I've just seen this. I expect they haven't watched you because data checked beforehand has shown what a good job you're doing. [​IMG]

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

That will be because SLT told them they didn't need to.
    Well done.