1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why oh why change the task bank for CA's. Aaargh!

Discussion in 'English' started by mkm, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mkm

mkm New commenter

After eventually writing an SOW which myself and the pupils I taught were happy with for the thorny topic of Spoken Language last year, I now find that I cannot teach it to my current year 10's because it doesn't 'fit' any more!!!! What a waste of bloody time! Now I'm going to have to completely re-invent the wheel for no good reason. What a complete mess the CA's are. Think I'll climb Everest tomorrow, bound to be easier than this.

2. mkm

mkm New commenter

And why oh why did I not use a question mark? Shame on me!

3. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I've put a scheme of work and resources on the TES resources section for text/ internet language.

4. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

I hate Controlled Assessment, I hate the new specification and I hate the sprawling mess that is the AQA course for GCSE. English, English Language and English Literature. It all smells of wee and poo.

5. mkm

mkm New commenter

I've put a scheme of work and resources on the TES resources section for text/ internet language

Thnaks very much. Still mad at them though.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

Go,Cherry! [​IMG]

7. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

According to the chief examiner for AQA, there should be no need to re-invent schemes of work every year because schemes should be teaching skills, not content. The mark scheme stays the same every year, no matter what the task is. We shuld be teaching the pupils to explore spoken language, not teaching them to answer one specific question about spoken language. And the same for all other CA.
    Just putting that out there. Discuss.

9. tollolo

tollolo New commenter

Only by teaching like a dog on a treadmill will my students retch at the sight of a possessive apostrophe.

10. mkm

mkm New commenter

A great idea but unrealistic in my opinion.Unless you have top sets the idea of, say, teaching the whole of Macbeth and then giving them a broad question for which they have not been prepared for specifically, when others in other schools they will have, is unfair. I'm also very cynical of this idea, given by the exam boards, that the new curriculum is intended to keep teaching 'fresh'. It is patronising in the extreme to suggest that English teachers are teaching the same essays every year. And even when they do I think this was often due to survival strategies in the face of ridiciulously burdensome workloads rather than staleness. Nothing but nothing will persuade me that the new CA's are anything other than unmanageable and representative as yet another way to chip away at our work/life balance (in my case at least 80/20 the wrong way!).

11. Well, actually, I do teach the Shakespeare without knowing what question I am going to set at the end. I don't finalise that until I'm into Act 4 of whichever play I am doing and think about what has grabbed my students (or my) interest. No, I don't teach at an outstanding school with good results. I teach at a comp that is looking over it's shoulder and panicking about OFSTED because it's been satisfactory for three inspections in a row and is awaiting the next one. However, I don't believe in teaching the same thing every year because I have a low boredom threshold. However, I KNOW from experience that MOST of my colleagues used to teach the same things every year - yes, every year - so, no it's not patronising in the extreme to suggest this because it happens. And, no, I don't think it's linked to survival strategies or a burdensome workload; after all, I work in the same school as my colleagues and teach the same type of students and yet I change a number of the things I teach - most especially the Shakespeare play (I select from Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Taming of the Shrew or Henry V) and don't teach the same play for more than two years in succession. No, I'm not a super-teacher, outstanding and no I don't have a light timetable, I'm merely 'good' with 'satisfactory' moments: a mere, teaching, mortal. Changing tasks for CAs is not unmanageable. The only thing that is unmanageable is trying to get all students to complete CAs with absence etc. and a management that's obsessed with re-doing CAs that are below target grade.

12. mkm

mkm New commenter

I disagree - I truly think you must be 'super-teacher'. I have never been judged as anything but outstanding, and I work in a school also judged as outstanding yet I simply couldn't manage to 'refresh' all the texts and tasks I teach so regularly! I also believe that it's not the essays and texts that need to be 'fresh' every year but the teaching. In other words, no matter how much I teach a poem or a text, as long as I liked it in the first place, I always manage to find it stimulating. Furthermore, the more you study a text, the deeper you delve and the more you 'mine' it. So yes, I stand by my 'patronising in the extreme' comment. Great that you can manage it - I'll admit that even if I always wished to take your approach, I know I wouldn't manage it. Maybe that makes me lesser than a mere mortal.

13. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

mkm, agree with you here. There are certain positives to teaching a text you know and definitely if you love that text especially when you do delve deeper. I also think that many teachers do not know every Shakespeare play there is in detail and that then becomes a burden for them to teach. Yes that is our job to teach texts and we should know them well enough to put schemes and to provide excellent resources; we just about it everything running ok and then we have to change!!
    Most schools are finding that we are pressured to get that C grade and the organisation of checking for absence is becoming so time consuming that it takes away from lesson preparation.

14. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'd be very surprised if any teacher knew all 40 or so in detail!

15. anteater

anteater New commenter

Well, I've spent ages this weekend poring over the Lit CA possibilities for the current Y10. With the current Y11s, I did the task about "people in love," using R and J and Much Ado. I could probably recycle that by using the new title about "strong feelings" if I felt so inclined.
    Trouble with lots of new titles is that I can come up with all sorts of exciting (and sometimes fairly bizarre) combinations of texts, but in the end we're pretty much stuck with what we've already got in the way of texts. In the end, we just have to be creative with what we've got. Or photocopy lots of poetry if we can't afford enough sets of the novels we would actually like to use [​IMG]

16. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

"Or photocopy lots of poetry if we can't afford enough sets of the novels we would actually like to use"
    We kept the final exam set (so a whole year group) of the last anthology. That way we can pick and choose the poems we like and / or have taught for years, saving additional prep time and cost of photocopying.
    For my top set, I'm also getting them to bring in a poem of their choice to use, as the really top marks include rewarding those students who are making their own links - and I make sure that I annotate their work when marking to demonstrate where they have moved beyond my explicit teaching.