1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why now?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HistoryEducator, Apr 7, 2020.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

At 5.30 am there is a piercing chip from the landing outside my bedroom. My daughter (downstairs /in a wheelchair) yells that the noise has been going on since 5 am.

The smoke detector is the culprit.
    Can I reach it?
    No!
    I could try and then could end up in A&E.

My son has moved out as a front line NHS worker he thought that was the best.
    Then we realized the detector is part of the Carelink package that monitors falls etc when my daughter is alone in the house. It has a 24 hours helpline.
    Consequently, our saviour arrived at 9.30 am. He was 6foot 7 inches tall and didn't need a ladder. He reached up and sorted out the detector.
    One problem solved.

But it has made me think of the different people who need help with things but can not get it at the moment.

Lara mfl 05, Dragonlady30 and Lidnod like this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

A tough one I am hearing is many people are finding their new customer only internet deal is up for renewal and - in the case of my colleague - going from 25 quid to 45.

He cannot cancel as no-one is there to answer phones and even if he could, he cannot get another provider to connect him up!

I believe many SKY customers are presently lobbying about this.

Virgin Media do make me laugh - they said ' due to the many calls and enquiries during this period, we have decided.....to close our chat service and most phone lines' !!!!

3. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I was lucky to get through to Sky 10 days ago and suspended the sports part of the package seeing there is no new sports showing also my son has moved out till after lockdown.

dumpty likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I'm dreading a leaking pipe, or faulty internet, or something like that during this lockdown.