1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why not outstanding?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by tarae1973, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Just wanted to see what people think about this. Just had a lesson observation and I got 1's apart from for learning/ progress and assessment where I got a 2. At my old school this would have been deemed outstanding as the vast majority of the criteria fall into that. However, I was told at this school its a good with elements of outstanding. I know I'm being picky, but is this a correct judgement?

2. Just wanted to see what people think about this. Just had a lesson observation and I got 1's apart from for learning/ progress and assessment where I got a 2. At my old school this would have been deemed outstanding as the vast majority of the criteria fall into that. However, I was told at this school its a good with elements of outstanding. I know I'm being picky, but is this a correct judgement?

3. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

It may be that progress/learning has to be outstanding for it to be an outstanding lesson. I think that's now seen as the key element by ofsted. Don't quote me on this though!!

4. The new framework is much more closely aligned to the key purpose of school, which is to educate children.
    The central focus is how well the teaching is leading to all pupils learning effectively and making good progress.
    They are also looking to see how the actions of school leaders promote effective teaching and learning.
    A lesson observation will look at the connection between teaching and learning. A key question is 'are all groups of learners making appropriate progress during the lesson?' All other evidence collected during the observation will explain this particular judgement.
    For this reason it is unlikely that an overall lesson judgment will exceed the judgment made on the quality of learning and the progress made by pupils.
    It is always worth remembering that lesson observation is fundamentally not about the teacher's performance.

5. Tolchard

Tolchard New commenter

More to the point, why on earth do you care if you got a 1 or a 2 for your lesson observation?

6. Probably because most people actually care about the quality of their work.
    Anyway, to answer the question, when you get observed, Ofsted will give you at least 3 grades, that for learning and progress, a grade for behaviour and one for teaching. As someone said already these grades are all likely to be the same unless there's a good reason for not doing so. Ofsted do not give one grade for the overall quality of the lesson,since this was part of the 2005 framework not the 2009 framework.

7. Tolchard

Tolchard New commenter

You really suppose that any grade an Ofsted Inspector might dole out is any genuine reflection of the quality of your teaching?

Personally, I'm far more concerned about fighting for my pension entitlements than any Ofsted visits I might get. I never bother to find out what I have been awarded in any case.

8. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Fair point about the pension- at least you've got one. S'more about the quality of the learning than teaching by the way