1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why not appoint a Headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Keighleigh, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

What is the point of having Executive Heads rather than appointing a Head? If a school works with a EH and then things become 'good' does the Head of School become the substantive Head or is it a fixed agreement forever?

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

What is the point of having Executive Heads rather than appointing a Head? If a school works with a EH and then things become 'good' does the Head of School become the substantive Head or is it a fixed agreement forever?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's one of those 'big ideas' from Nulabour and I assume the Condems are equally beguiled by it.
    Originally it was seen as a way of overcoming the shortage of mugs applicants for headships and an executive head tended to be appointed over two schools; it was also badged as a money-saver (see below for why it usually costs far more).
    It morphed thereafter, because they then realised they still needed someone to be operationally in charge in each school and so a 'head of school' was often appointed - they get to do the dirty work, but get few of the 'glamour' (stop hooting, you heads) aspects of headship. It costs far more because the executive head is usually on a much higher salary than the previous pair of heads were AND the 'heads of school' areoften paid as much as the previous heads were, increasing the salaries bill significantly.
    Its fans still think it somehow 'raises standards' - I'm still scratching my head about that one.
    The arrangement is more often permanent than not.

4. I agree. Federation is being pushed whenever there is a headship vacancy in our LA - and these are increasing in number! Governors can, and do, resist but the lack of candidates often gives them little choice. It is one of those initiatives that seems to have become "a good idea" without anyone stopping to think if it is actually best for the children (and the Executive Headteacher who tries to keep up with what is going on in two or more schools.) Easier, I suppose, if you enjoy analysing data and resist actually getting involved with children.