1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Why new teachers should not have to plan lessons. They should just get on with the teaching”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Planning takes a really long time when you start teaching. Then with time it gets quicker and easier as you develop your knowledge and experience. Planning the learning is a key part of the job. This does not mean writing lesson plans only but is the process of reflecting on learning and knowing where to take the children next. If you get rid of NQTs planning and merely have them delivering then how will they develop this reflective practice which is what makes the best teachers so good?

fineliner and Godmeister like this.
  2. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Yes! With this I agree wholeheartedly. Reduce the nonsense admin not the key, basic skills of teaching.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Planning should only have to be there if it helps the teacher to teach. There shouldn't be a set or approved way of doing it. The teacher should be free to diverge from the planning if that's appropriate. It's not an aim in itself, it's an aid to teaching, so if it's not helping to do it in a particular way then there should be no obligation to do that. I heard a very experienced teacher observe recently that young teachers are brilliant planners but useless teachers. Maybe a bit harsh, but learning to plan does not make for a good teacher, it makes for a good planner.

4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Many good experienced teachers can teach a lesson 'off the cuff'. Give them a subject and they can teach it. Of course nowadays there is this obsession with PowerPoints and loads of differentiated worksheets. But are they there to enhance the lesson or to provide evidence?

cazzmusic1 and wanet like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Correction? All good experienced teachers ...

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Look, the writing is on the wall. Teaching is not classed as a profession. Allegedly anyone can do it. One size fits all curricula of rote learning for standardised tests produced by global edu software companies, learning programmes from global publishers, produced in self access, self marking formats eliminate the need for teachers' subject knowledge or teacher input.
    It's that simple.
    Nicky Morgan really believes that's all there is to it.
    Only heads in chain academies, only teachers in non LEA schools are recognised for publishing company, recruitment agency sponsored teaching awards. So that false logic proves the false premise.
    No one is such a luddite to suggest that the curriculum should stay in a pre digital age. However to imagine that four year olds can be tested to a formula or eleven year olds don't need to sing, dance, paint, or do anything but sit and study is misguided. However the underlying aim of global education is to mechanise the process.
    I spent this week as supply in a primary school staffed almost exclusively by NQTs clearly at the end of their tether even with collaborative planning, as everything still has to be marked and differentiated and fine tuned to the individual school and the individual children.

7. Compassman

Sorry, you are, of course correct. :)

8. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

The critical question is what is a lesson plan and who is it for? Too often current lesson planning seems to be about ticking boxes and very little to do with what a teacher needs in order to teach a good and appropriate lesson. Wishful thinking but could the suggestion be to let an NQT focus on what they actually need in order to survive in a classroom?

Maths_Shed likes this.
  9. Compassman

I can understand the need for an inexperienced NQT to plan but someone who's been in the job say more than 5 years should be able to do a lesson with minimal planning.

10. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

The article linked in the OP reveals a basic misunderstanding on the part of its author. Subject knowledge is important but will not make a teacher effective if it is not matched with subject pedagogy. The head in this story and the NQT do not seem to understand this. As others have said, how does an NQT develop subject pedagogy if they are never taught this?

Whenever, I have mentored NQTs or others in need of support, I would generally pair them up with myself or another teacher so that they can share planning - that is do the planning together so that they still have to go through the process but are not isolated. I suppose this would be called coaching, these days.

JL48 likes this.