1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Why new teachers should not have to plan lessons. They should just get on with the teaching”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Planning is an integral part of teaching in my view. I've never managed to successfully teach someone else's material.
    A far more sensible thing would be to allow new teachers to plan but cut down the requirements for three pages of plan for a 40 minute lesson and to go back to using textbooks instead of photocopying and making minute changes to worksheets to ensure you have differentiated for all learners.

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

A qt repeating the same stuff time after time may well get away with teaching off-the-cuff but an NQT needs to build a portfolio of good content that is delivered with confidence: that requires planning, even if you know the subject matter inside-out.

5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Oh lord - not this again!

Yes, we should be able to use other people's resources, textbooks, SoWs etc etc. No one wants to constantly reinvent the wheel - we have quite enough to do. However I completely agree with FI - planning is an integral part of teaching. Being able to plan a lesson, set of lessons, or even a whole unit / SoW should absolutely be an expectation from an experienced professional.

schoolsout4summer and cazzmusic1 like this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Yes ...why not throw them in the deep end. We could up the numbers quitting in the first few years and save on pensions! Just replace with more cannon fodder. After all kids that matter are in private schools....

lanokia likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

I'm coming back to add that I can't even teach my own lessons the same year on year. The classes are different and need different activities, different texts, different stimulus. The idea that a HOD could write and teach a course (one subject is not a curriculum) which was then suitable for every class for ever after is lunacy.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Of course you need planning. How would it make a NQT feel comfortable and confident to be winging it in every lesson. Maybe you don't need every second accounted for, but trying to teach from a scheme written by someone else that you haven't adapted for your own needs, would be challenging for many, let alone a new teacher.

I would have much preferred to be able to teach one off cover lessons that I had planned, rather than a lesson plan left by the usual teacher, that I had no prior knowledge of.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And yet that's been the norm in the last two schools I've worked in.

I've just come to accept it now... centralised lessons.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Did we not establish, Lanokia, that your last school was a hellhole full of lunatics?

I hate this move to deprofessionalise and standardize teaching all in the name of improvement. Bah.

Mrsmumbles and -myrtille- like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not disputing that...

Just saying from my experience this is the new norm... admittedly my present school permits far greater flexibility and adaptation in the planning over the last one which was rigidly imposed...

12. Flere-Imsaho

Being able to plan is written into the teacher standards here. You'd not qualify if you were only ever teaching someone else's lessons. Does England not have standards or competences with similar?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Didn't know you were in Scotland Flere [I assume it's Scotland?]

England? Standards? Competences? ... what interesting concepts... tell me more of this thing you call kissin... I mean professionalism.

Edit: That is not flirting, it's a bad attempt at a Star Trek reference!

14. Flere-Imsaho

Don't know if this is current but this, off the QTS standard:
    1. Planandteachwellstructuredlessons
      •  impart knowledge and develop understanding through effective use of lesson time
      •  promote a love of learning and children’s intellectual curiosity
      •  set homework and plan other out-of-class activities to consolidate and

extend the knowledge and understanding pupils have acquired
      •  reflect systematically on the effectiveness of lessons and approaches to teaching
      •  contribute to the design and provision of an engaging curriculum within the relevant subject area(s).

Compared to this, from Scotland:
        Registered teachers:
        •  know how to plan systematically for effective teaching and learning across different contexts and experiences;
        •  have a secure working knowledge and detailed understanding to justify what is taught within the curricular areas, in relation to the curriculum and the relevance to the needs of all learners;
        •  understand their role as leaders of curriculum development.
        The differences are interesting, no?

JXN_Maths and lanokia like this.
  15. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Some of the best lessons I taught were ones I'd just made up as I went along.

In fact after a few years most experienced teachers should be able to teach a topic with minimal planning. I know I could.

It may not have been an Ofsted approved lesson but that doesn't mean they wouldn't learn any less.

lizziescat, wanet, yodaami2 and 2 others like this.
  16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm not sure I understand the article. What do we mean by "planning" here? Every teacher has to sit down and go through their notes for the lesson, the weekend / evening before they teach it. This exercise should result in a short set of notes to help run the lesson roughly to time, considering the particular students involved. Is this what MS Ravsi considers to be "planning"? I certainly hope not, considering that she does not "plan". It is an important stage of teaching a lesson that has to be performed by every teacher of any experience for every lesson. I'm sure nobody here walks into the classroom without having read through their lesson plan notes.

I assumed by "planning", Ms Ravsi meant planning the learning exercises and the supporting, resources, given the topic or concept that had to be covered. Well, again, I'm flummoxed. Surely nobody expects this from an NQT anyway. They don't have the subject knowledge suitable for students yet (They are NQT), they don't have the confidence, the energy, the time and a whole load of other things.

Does the department not have a complete set of lesson plans with resources to suit already? What do people think they are for? Not just for the benefit of supply and cover teachers.

I am shocked by the inference of the article that there are school departments out there that don't have a full and comprehensive set of lesson plans and resources and who expect an inexperienced NQT to basically figure it out for themselves. Well if that really is the case anywhere, then it is disgraceful!

ld7675 and emerald52 like this.
  17. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Brilliant!

18. Vince_Ulam

It rambles rather. Unfortunately, many young teachers now exist in a rather fervid social network bodged together from Wordpress & Twitter in which ideas are named but understood only at the level of Google, leading to grandiose pseudo-schema as useless as the blob-gobbets they wish to abolish.

JXN_Maths and Middlemarch like this.
  19. Vince_Ulam

20. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Love textbooks! Great help to teachers, less photo copying and pupils can reread them.

cazzmusic1 likes this.