1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why I've decided to leave teaching...(it's long, sorry)

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by BermondseyBoy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Hello Everyone,
    I've done it! As I was on a fixed term contract, I have handed in my resignation and have set myself free of the classroom.
    I have 1 1/2 days to go...and nothing to go to (apart from some me time until boredom/ financial needs drive me to do something else)!
    Feel frightened and excited about being 'out in the big bad world'.
    Can't wait and will keep you all posted on life out there/here (?)
    luv and seasons greetings[​IMG]

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

How do I deal with it? Certainly not through anything from college, IFL or similar, politicians or media. Only through my family and friends! One of the most important bits of advice I was given as a teacher is “Don’t let the b*stards grind you down!” and they f*cking well are not going to!! To any young teachers that read this – We are doing a very important job and society could not function without us. So don’t let the --- well, I’ve already said what, haven’t I!

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Umm-m, sorry about talking in a loud voice here. Function of the difficult (for me anyway!) to use edit tools.
    All the best.

4. avoca75

avoca75 New commenter

What really saddens me reading this thread, is that the majority of you are young bright teachers with everything to give to the teaching profession and you all seem to be not just unsupported by the SMT and the more experienced staff in your schools but crushed under the incessant impossible demands being made of you.
    I am now 54 years old and have been teaching primary children since I qualified in 1977. I gave up a full-time senior post in 2003 when I really didn't think I would survive ,I was under so much stress. I currently work three days a week providing ppa cover and teaching art and design from Nursery to Year6. I work in a school that has so many new iniatives its hard to keep track where changes are made to curriculum constantly and every new gimmick has to be taken on board right NOW this minute with no thought to the implications , nothing joins up or flows its all disjointed and difficult and it makes teaching in those circumstances a nightmare.
    Added to which is the ridiculous state of teaching contracts with the ridiculous ' directed time' which many Heads blatently misuse. I work for a Head who thinks she has an absolute right to direct me to work on this or that on my days off and who still expects to turn up during Holidays for ''training days''.
    After 33 years as a teacher I am leaving in the summer to start my own business in something completely unrelated to children or education.We don't have a rehearsal on life this is it, and if you are miserable or unhappy only you can change it.

5. " I would love to stick these so called "experts" into a sink estate inner city school and see if there "expertise" stops them getting eaten alive".

I wasted my NQT year in Hell High, near Camberley, and also witnessed the institutionalised denial of failing behavioiur policies. The school was led by fools who's inadequacy at their jobs was only balanced by the arrogance with which they blamed the shortcomings of their institution on the very teachers they undermined on a daily basis. For a clearer definition, google "Quimbecile".
    One day a supply teacher arrived, declaring that he spent most of his time as a "behaviour consultant" and was promptly chewed up and spat out in under fifteen minutes by a group of eleven bottom set year nines. Muggins had to rescue him! What a joke
    The state sector is a rotten and corrupt farce, where "edutainment" rules the day and pupils are prepared for everything imaginable, except being bored by having to fill out paperwork, having to do activities that aren't exciting and last for more than five minutes, getting in to trouble if you swear at those who are managing you, having to meet deadlines, etc. etc..
    All statements that education is improving have to be taken with a pinch of salt - have standards improved, or is the bar being incrementally lowered?
    I too am looking for a way out...

6. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

There is lots of common sense being spoken on this thread and I really respect teachers who say 'enough is enough' and have the back bone to leave the profession. I have worked in several schools and also in other previous jobs with colleagues who are less educated than school staff, including at a meat factory, and more bullying between staff definitely goes on in schools. I too am sick of inadequate and unsupportive SMT members. I'm convinced that many I have dealt with are mentally ill and are in the job for the power trip.
    How ridiculous! As a lowly NQT I was asked by the Headteacher to observe the 'outstanding' candidates 'at the top of their game' carrying out a lesson during ther interview for Numeracy consultancy so that I might learn something. I was a Reception teacher and horrified that this 'outstanding' candidate had given the children worksheets to sit at a table and complete for 20mins. They didn't understand the task and nor did I! How worrying that these are the best candidates who could command £40k + per year.
    In the same school and again as an NQT, I taught the headteacher stuff about Foundation Stage that she didn't know. How could she lead me when I knew more than her about the curriculum? What a waste of her salary of £45k. She has been head at this failing school for years, yet has the cheek to tell the teachers on a daily basis that 'you are failing your children', when the biggest failure is caused by her pig- headedness not leave herself. Yes, the intake in that area were poor, yet the problem was compounded by inadequate and bullying SMT staff.
    ... thanks for letting me vent off.