1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why it's good to be a Primary teacher....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I think we should all say why its good to be a primary teacher ...

miss h

2. Long holidays
    Lots of presents

3. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Although there are days when I wish I was a Tesco shelf stacker, I do love my job and you won't often find me grumbling about it.
    The best bits for me are:
    • my brilliant colleagues
    • hearing comments like 'you make learning fun'
    • developing a sense of empathy within my children for each other and world events such as the Chile miners, poverty in Africa.

4. Every day is different and can never be called boring!

5. Hearing childrens viewpoints that are so wrong they're funny!!!

6. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Watching Reception children wiggle in Wake and Shake.
    (No, not in that way!!)

7. Every day I walk into school with a smile on my face. I enjoy seeing the children coming in with their stories and random requests. Then I like settling them down and taking them to ancient places, far off lands and worlds on numerical and scientific discovery. Best of all is watching the penny drop or children fixed with concentration making small steps to learning. My colleagues are fun to work with, use initiative and support me in what I do.
    ...now if we could just do something about that unnecessary paperwork and unrealistic targets.

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Unexpected home made cards from kids.
    Having colleagues I really get along with.
    Cakes in the staffroom.

9. thegoose

thegoose New commenter

August!

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Most Fridays I'm home by four o'clock and contemplating opening a bottle of wine, whereas the majority of the working public are contemplating the rush-hour Friday drive home.

11. Being privy all day every day to five year old children's outlook on life- really refreshing. I often wish adults had the naivety and openness of little children.

12. That moment where they just blow you away with their answers - they must have listened to something you've said over the last 5 weeks even if they dont act like it (Year 6)

13. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I love it when everyone elses classes run out to play but I can't get rid of mine :)

14. Just have say I would have agreed with all and added to reasons up until July this year.

Now think no kids is really the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving my life, today INSET with whole staff on ICT - much better with no kids around!!

15. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

I am working hard to transfer from secondary to primary. After 20 years of other people's teeneagers there is a great deal to be said for the younger children you know!
    I am loving every minute! Only on supply so far, but it is great for me!

16. Being a huge part of a child's life. You realise it when their parents tell you little stories about the things they say about you at home :) One little girl hugged me the other day on her way out at home time and said 'I miss you!'

17. having nicknames for the SLT and the comradeship amongst teachers who have "jobsworth" bullying Heads.
    The NASUWT

18. can't spell comerardery / comerdery /comeradery - you know what I mean![​IMG]

19. Simple.
    It's a qualification that allowed me pack up and leave the clapped-out UK education system and find work elsewhere earning double and paying a fraction in tax. All without the hassle of stuff like observations, agressive heads and meaningless paperwork.
    Am I a 'dedicated' teacher? Dunno really: I just talk to kids for a living.
    Take my advice and work overseas.