1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why isn't planning available for all?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crysys, Apr 28, 2011.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I've just worked for a term in a junior school and was given the task at the eleventh hour to do Literacy planning for a different year group. I was not only shocked at the expectation but then overwhelmingly dismayed to find that no previous planning existed either with that year group's teachers or on the school server. There was no culture within the school of regularly saving planning for others to use and I was then swamped with researching and spending far too many hours each week, sweating to get it right, making resources and getting it emailed to the teachers concerned. I had to resort to subscribing to published planning to help me out, which was not always useful and was all the time feeling agrieved that in this day and age, few teachers are interested in sharing their work. With workload being so onerous these days and planning and marking in particular being the most time consuming, I'd be interested to know why this is.
    In my first school, pre national curriculum, when teaching was topic based, folders of planning and resources were stored in the staffroom for all to use if they changed year group and needed a hand in getting to grips with the new year. Why isn't this the norm nowadays? I've seen references on here to teachers being protective over their planning when dealing with colleagues wanting to share it in case it was 'stolen'. Please tell me that this is not common practice in most schools!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If I can be brutaly honest I wouldn't want your planning (or anyone elses) and I certainly wouldn't want to dust off my last year's plans to deliver next year and the year after ...
    [​IMG]

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Crysys,
    I have worked in school were folders of previous years planning are left in the store room for the next teacher of that class.
    But I know of one colleague who deliberately deleted all her plans from the network when she left the school.
    I can completely understand where you are coming from here- But I understood why my colleague did what she did.
    She was an outstanding teacher who paid for much of her own resources (only many occassions the school refused to reimburse her).She spent time on her work and took pride in the quality of expositions. Her ideas, her powerpoints, her time, her commitment and therefor her COPYWRITE.
    If the SMT had any sense at all they would have paid her to leave copies of her resources, she taught Y6 and got outstanding results and brilliant value added.
    However the SMT didn't have this vision- they wanted the new teacher to have "ownership" and "take responsibity" for the attainment and progression etc.
    I plan for GT, HA, MA, BA, SEN and children with P Scales too also incorporating activities for EAL children. All my lessons have this with resources linked to the plans, internet links etc using a creative curriculum etc. I can't buy planning like this off the shelf. It's completely mine why on earth should I or any other teacher not be paid to leave planning like this if it is exceptionally good?
    BPG

4. We save our plans weekly on the central server however not the resources. I am leaving my school this year and will be deleting my personal drive before I go- the plans will still be on the central drive for others to see the obj and types of activities but all the resources etc I have spent hours upon hours making and paid for myself are coming with me. As people above have said if it were any other industry where we created a new product (as essentially a teaching resource is) we would not be expected to give it away for free.

I do upload stuff on here at times as a thanks for the things I have found on here. That's sharing good practise but in my school the staff's mentallity is take take take alas. So i am getting with it and taking it with me

5. She was an outstanding teacher who paid for much of her own resources
    (only many occassions the school refused to reimburse her).She spent
    time on her work and took pride in the quality of expositions. Her
    ideas, her powerpoints, her time, her commitment and therefor her
    COPYWRITE.

sp: copyright, occasions
    Work you produce for your employer whilst employed by him/her/them is not your creative property. You can't copyright a lesson plan and a powerpoint you knocked up in school time, and that includes non-directed time.
    It is mean-spirited in the extreme to delete your resources when you leave and if I'd been her manager I'd have let her know in no uncertain terms.

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Lilly,
    Thanks for correcting me, I knew it looked wrong but didn't check it up.
    In this respect you are quite right- but what if your Planning work is done at weekends and during holidays- is that regarded as non-directed time? It's so vague isn't it?
    BPG

7. Sharing ideas is a great idea and is surely standard practice in every good school out there. However sharing plans is different. A plan should be written with specific learners in mind using Assessment for Learning to inform the L.O.s How can this then be used on a different set of learners? People will say that they share plans and adapt them - so they are using the ideas but should still be matching the L.O. to the needs of the learners in their class.

8. In my school we don't have to submit planning but certainly most of us save it to the school server and allow others access to our planning and resources. I agree that one set of plans doesn't suit another class but it is extremely helpful if one hasn't taught a specific year group before and there are plans and resources available to help with where to pitch (in general). It wouldn't cross my mind to delete anything I'd created previously :-/

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I actually think sharing resources planning is one of the hallmarks of good teaching 'sharing good practice'. It makes us all better at what we do for the benefit of our students.

We all kno we can not follow other's planning slavishly without adapting it for our particular circumstances/ class individuals, but certainly when transferring to a different age group or 'new creative curriculum' for example. it is really useful to have some starting point to start our own creative juices flowing.

10. imc

imc

In private or corporate business it is standard practice for any procedures, inventions, etc. etc. related to the business to be the copyright of the employer - this has been the case in two of my pre-teaching jobs and I have friends who have similar stipulations in their contracts - even if something is developed in their own time!
    Sharing planning and resources should be about sharing good practice and contributing to the professional development of others. That said, I do know how it feels to walk in to every calssroom in school to find resources I have made yet walk into my own and find nothing from other staff. Some people don't commit as fully as others - that will be the case in any line of work.
    Although, I must say I wouldn't want to be following someone else's planning for my class unless they fully understood the day to day assessments of my children - something only the class teacher would have an up to date knowledge of - likewise for revisiting past planning - sometimes it might be fine but surely no two classes are the same...

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

This thread has touched on a number of issues
    Unless you are on SLT or a Literacy TLR the school has absolutely no right to demand or expect this of you: if you were asked and agreed that is naother matter, the school could have offered you some management time to help you get the extra work done. The terms of our contract protecting teachers from such expectations are there for the reasons emerging from your description tthis 'expectation' had on you. shame on them.
    I have always looked at previous year's planning if not for the content then just for the physical format, LOs etc etc to save time typing stuff out again.
    It is indeed vague since our contract specifically states that our duties extend beyond directed time and if the school provides the software and or hardware their claim to copyright is even stronger but these issues mostly relate to the publication and sale of material, not their use, I think; even if they don't, would a school be able or committed enough to check to see if you are still using planning or resources created in one employment after you have moved to another?
    but do the needs of specific groups of learners with regard to set LOs really differ so much from year to year that we need to create new wheels for them every year? individuals are a different matter of course.
    I have found that I am far more likely to ditch my planning or resource ideas from previous years more because I have either come up with something better or, as you have highlighted, my assessment of the current learners indicates a different approach.
    As to using other people's planning: I hate it. I cover other teachers quite often as part of my role and if they want me to deliver a lesson they have planned with a year group partner I often find difficulites with location of resources, mismatch of resources to planning, expectations in lesson timing or outcomes, and silly things like matching differentiation to particular groups of children e.g. planning states 'HA to .....' but no indication that HA children are in the 'Grapefruit' group and that's not to mention examples of downright poor planning or resource perparation.