1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why isn’t more being asked about this?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by PeterQuint, May 26, 2020.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It isn't.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think quite a lot is being said about it. And yes, social distancing is going to be kept.We are only considering taking around 30% of children back

phlogiston likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The OP refers to when 'all' children return. When this happens, the 2m thing will be completely impossible in the vast majority of schools, thus schools will not be expected to enforce it.

They'll just go back to banging on about washing your hands and coughing into your elbow...

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I have been wondering about this for a while now.
    The Scottish government intends to only have half of all students in at one time. They are considering having half of the students in the morning, half in the afternoon. Students taking turns at coming in. Mixing online and face-to-face learning, in some way.

It is not possible to have all students in and respect social distancing. It is therefore impossible to achieve the required number of teaching hours required by examination classes. bojo is having a laugh if he thinks a few days before the summer holidays will make up for all of the lost time. There will be plenty more lost time after the summer too. Exams 2021 should be cancelled right now.

6. PeterQuint

The government has said it doesn’t want pupils back on a rota. That means they all have to be in at once.

New Zealand have had no new cases for a while, and lockdown is quite light, but there’s still social distancing.

If the virus is still out there, with no vaccine or cure, everyone in the country will still need to socially distance to some extent.

This could include the entire 2020/21 academic year.

7. PeterQuint

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm sure the virus is still out there as I'm sure that the practicalities of a safe and feasible return to school for all has not/cannot be thought through to an extent where it covers all angles and pleases everyone.
    The 'final' advice is published tomorrow (28th May) which allows for 3 calendar days before desired opening. How badly wrong does the Govt want it to go ?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Only primaries and nurseries are back in school next week (probably) and only about half the year groups.
    The guidance is quite clear that social distancing is not expected in primary schools.

Once everyone is back, then social distancing will still not be expected, obviously.

Pomza and welshwales like this.
  10. PeterQuint

Obviously I'm talking about secondaries.

Come September, if 2m social distancing is required in other workplaces, teachers (and, I suspect, parents) won't stand for it being casually dropped in schools.

By the way, you may notice I linked to a news story at the BBC in post 1. This isn't some mad, ill-informed question I've made up myself. It's a genuine issue.

Catgirl1964, Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It has already been casually dropped. You just need to read the government guidance to schools on reopening:

"Wearing a face covering or face mask in schools or other education settings is not recommended. .... The majority of staff in education settings will not require PPE beyond what they would normally need for their work, even if they are not always able to maintain a distance of 2 metres from others".

12. caterpillartobutterfly

TES would probably have about half the number of threads it does, if people actually stuck to the facts in their OPs though...:rolleyes:

Stiltskin and Pomza like this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

if you also removed all the ones that just said ‘Call the union! Make sure you get a regional rep!’ Every time somebody’s HT looks at them, there would be none!

14. PeterQuint

That's not the same, I'm afraid.

Everyone is required to maintain 2m 'where reasonable'. That's the same in schools as elsewhere, and that's what's being referenced there.

The advice for secondary schools, as for elsewhere is still to maintain 2m where reasonable.

The question is what will happen if/when those recommendations diverge.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  15. PeterQuint

You know, a lot of your posts are interesting, informative and helpful.

But you really do fall all to readily into this sort of condescension.

The entirety of my text on post 1 is a clear and accurate reflection of the article to which I linked.

16. PeterQuint

17. caterpillartobutterfly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52811539
    I think it's looking less and less likely that any other primary year group will be back before September.
    And that by September the country will look very different to now.

Well the odd one or two... but thank you.
    Call it sarcasm, rather than condescension and I'll agree with you and take the rap on the knuckles. :oops:

18. PeterQuint

I sincerely hope that the positive cheers you up, and the ‘negative’ is something that cheers you up even more, in thinking “Wow! I can get even better!”

:D

19. PeterQuint

Anyway, the very general point (made by myself and the BBC) is that:

- You can’t fit the usual 30 in a class and maintain 2m
    - If you want to keep 2m you need 15 in a class, twice as many classrooms and twice as many teachers
    - The government want Years R, 1 & 6 to return full time, no rotas
    - The government will want everyone else back full time, no rotas ASAP. Possibly/probably in September
    - That would involve abandoning 2m distancing completely
    - If the rest of the country’s workplaces still has 2m distancing, I wouldn’t be happy
    - Neither would the unions, nor parents

Peace to all.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

NEU has said they are happy to work with the DfE to open schools more widely from 15th June, just that 1st is too soon.
    One assumes they will support the guidance already in place that social distancing isn't expected in schools.
    Now who is being patronising! :p:D:p