1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is this process like banging your head against a brick wall?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by DJDave1979, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jenstowell

jenstowell New commenter

I would definitely recommend applying for the GTP as opposed to the PGCE.

I tried the PGCE last year and found the whole affair a joke. I was rejected from 3 universities. I asked for feedback, expecting them to suggest more classroom experience perhaps. Nope! The only suggestion I got back was to get an A-level Maths.

I was a chartered accountant for 8 years before I decided to start working with children. I also have GCSE A* in Maths. When I pointed this out, I was told that A-level would provide more appropriate knowledge. I had applied for PGCE PRIMARY!

This year I have gone down the GTP route and although I have had a lot of rejections, it does altogether seem to be a more sensible affair. Also, you are not restricted to a certain number of applications like PGCE.

2. That almost sounds as though they are insulting you on purpose! Good luck with the GTP applications.

3. Now that I can agree with is ridiculous.

4. Fifty years ago five 'O' Level passes was considered sufficient to enter teacher training. Often mature students with, for example 22 years in the services, could enter training without any formal academic qualifications. It was difficult to fail the course because of poor academic performance but failure to cope with the periods of teaching practice meant almost instant failure with no second chances.
    Graduates, at that time, needed no formal training as teachers and were accepted willingly into the profession as 'qualified'
    For many years the argument ran that graduates could teach subjects and trained teachers could teach children.
    As a head teacher of a couple of Primary schools I held the view that there were gifted people who made excellent teachers whether college or university trained. However I also took the view that no matter how gifted a teacher was in the classroom they should be well educated.
    With that in mind all the teachers I appointed in the last years of my career were gifted teachers and Graduates.
    I have a young friend who is battling to get a training place who has a 2-1degree and who is so frustrated by the strange processes at work. I just wonder whether the academics who are running the selection process are really up to the high demands that modern selection techniques demand.
    Good luck everyone!
    Phil

5. Hi DJDave1979,
    First things first - If you are that passionate about being a teacher stick with it. It really doesn't matter if you were educated at Oxbridge or not. Every person who has gone through this application cycle in 2010/2011 is in this same horrible waiting state as everybody else and has no idea when the good or bad news will hit track.
    I got an interview at my first choice uni (but it's not a great one) and was grilled like a sausage for four and a half hours in November 2010. I have no idea if I have a place or not and check on this forum regularly to see if there is any faint glimmer of news. By the time I find out from my first choice the rest of my other possibles will be full.
    But my main point is this: I am 1 year older than you, I have a 2:2 degree and it's not from Oxbridge. I have ten years of working in banking under my belt. However if you have the same fire in your belly to be a teacher that I have then whilst it is as frustrating as **** you are exactly what the profession need. Don't throw the towel in yet. If it doesn't happen this year (for either of us) then try again next year. It sounds from your experience in school that you had the the same massive smile-this is the career for me- when can I start look on your face. I'm a career changer too and it really isn't easy.
    Frustrated? Yes
    Still determined? Yes
    Stick with it mate and the best of luck to you.

6. Thanks for the rallying-cry, Shred! Just what I needed.
    Yesterday I was greeted with such a beaming smile from the girl whose English I am working on improving during my day in school. It really seems to be working and is super rewarding. You certainly don't get that kind of job satisfaction in my current career.
    But the frustration continues. My first provider has now had my application since 29th November and has still not decided whether to offer me an interview, let alone a place. I'm tearing my hair out. I understand the inability to offer firm places until they are allocated the places for the coming academic year but I would like to think they had assigned me a place in the queue!
    Gah!

7. Another week of absolutely nothing.
    I do think they are taking the mickey, slightly.

8. Where have you applied for?