1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is the save icon a "H"?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by School Boy Error, Jan 25, 2012.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

A question I was asked by one of my Year 5's yesterday! I had to show him a 3 1/2 inch floppy to show him what the picture was of. When he saw it his reaction was, "Wow, what's that?" It wasn't too long ago I was at high school myself walking around with a blazer full of these things....

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Ah, yes you're perfectly right.

3. I've never actually stopped to consider what the children must think of that icon! Asking them to press the print icon is simple but the save one must appear bizarre to them!

4. There are so many throwbacks in our language to earlier times that I'm sure these icons will soon be looked back on in the same way as RIng a Roses represented the plague!!

5. Some of our technical language already predates the Great Plague by a good couple of hundred years. We teach students about point sizes for fonts, leading and (of course) upper and lower case characters. More immediately though, given your love of urban legends, do you you teach that the QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow typists down?