1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is the last day of term such a waste of time ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FormosaRed, Dec 21, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to spend time doing some good quizzes and generally got through the last day unscathed but at my current school we just have the lowest common denominator "form parties" because it requires absolutely no effort on anyone's part in management.

I used to be a very good form tutor but in this place we have no structure and very few assemblies and to be honest I'm losing interest.

Have to start back again after xmas with a bit more enthusiasm.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I generally give them colouring in. Key quotations, keys scenes, book covers, that sort of thing. I've never seen the point of 50 minutes of one film followed by 50 minutes of another. If you have a nice long double period you can just about get through the Muppet Christmas Carol but otherwise it's tough going!

phlogiston and wanet like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yr 10 watched the first hour of back to the future which I just happened to have in my bag. Yr 11 didn't want to watch a movie so they just dossed around for an hour (no change there, they have been doing that since the start of year 10 apparently). The art class was very good. It was low ability but they got their art books out and worked hard on their pictures so I played them some Christmas songs as they worked (just audio, no video to distract them). Heaven knows what tomorrow will bring, there are two assemblies planned the second one being whole school. Kids kicked out at 12.45

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

'Fun' activities planned for us tomorrow, (planned by others, delivered by us, fantastic) then assembly with parents invited at 12, kids kicked out at 1pm and staff supposed to stay for meal. Most just want to get away.

5. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

When did this fun last day idea creep in? I was at secondary school in the 1970's and we worked right up to the end of term. There would be a slightly longer assembly on the last day to allow for carol singing and some seasonal bible readings (not a faith school it's just what happened) But 7 lessons as usual and it never seemed to be a problem

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to have a (mainly) science Christmas quiz and then would roast marshmallows over Bunsen burners, the classes I didn't like enough to spend money on or didn't trust enough to do it would do something more lesson like.

It's surprisingly difficult to bulk buy bags of marshmallows, fortunately they tend to be amongst the cheapest of confectionary.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I used to love the last days of christmas terms in primary schools..far more than tutor group ones in seconadry!
    I used to do structured activities with a theme ,did quizzs based upon what we had been studying and it was one time when i could share and listen to my children and their lives...but i did dread toy days .there was always some poor sap who had no toy.or even worse if got broke in the day.
    I also used to buy cheap sets of say chess or board games and they loved these as well. I didnt love getting beaten when taking them on as a challenge lol.
    To the op why don't you suggest yout will take the whole school in activities such as exam writing or story writing,or maybe you could elicidate on difficlt concepts etc so they could learn and realise schools are indeed as dull as ditch water :)

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I opened my bag of Chemistry tricks.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good job you weren't working at Mikecom / Roger's school.

Funny, that used to happen with me sometimes.

Things that go bang are often good. So was invisible ink.

racroesus likes this.