1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is the last day of term such a waste of time ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FormosaRed, Dec 21, 2017.

1. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

No-one teaches proper lessons, they just "press play". The pupils are high as kites on all the sugar and chocolate they are eating in present exchanges. A significant number of staff have arranged to go on holiday a couple of days early leaving the rest of the muppets to cover for them. Someone forgot to tell the bus companies we were finishing two hours early, so we have the added pleasure of baby-sitting lots of stranded students who don't want to be at school. I ask myself : couldn't that day be put to much better use ?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, we could just send them home as son as they arrive!

3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

It has to be the last day, at least one day........

Video about poverty in Africa. 'think you've got it bad kiddo, look at them!' or that photo of the kid drinking from the puddle in Argentina. You can tell, I like my classes to leave on a high! :rolleyes:

NikNak01, Noja, Calpurnia99 and 4 others like this.
  4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

There has to be a last day sometime!! Not sure what else can be done especially in the winter!! Summer term you can do things but not in bleak mid winter!

FormosaRed likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No one makes you waste the day. Do something productive if you want to.

sbkrobson, Pomza, nomad and 2 others like this.
  6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's far from wasted in my school.

Pomza, knitone, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If management insist on the 'showing them a film' option after dinner, the trick is to choose an obscure film title that will only suit half a dozen smart amenable kids, then you can have a very quiet afternoon and can get some tidying up done.

Choose a blockbuster and you deserve everything you get.

8. FormosaRed

MY point is: you can't - the entire school culture is geared to wasting the last day. They've just come from a previous lesson, wearing santa hats, glitter eye makeup, waving around family sized bags of chocolate, screaming "Oh I wish it could be Christmas every day" and shouting "what film are we watching ?? What ?? That's not fair, Mr **** just let us watch Elf. "

MY attempts to do anything productive were a waste of time because the culture of the last day is to waste it.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  9. FormosaRed

I want to come and work at your school then please.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Different schools have different cultures. My personal preference would be to work up until the end of the day balancing equations or solving problems using Ohm's Law, then wish them a Merry Christmas as they depart.
    However, we seem to need periods of transition these days. My spectral side is mystified by the partial showing of a film that cannot possibly be watched in the time available, nor finished somewhere else (although some films are so tedious that truncation is a relief).
    Last days, if not curricular, need even more structure and planning than normal days. Although children think they want to do "nothing", they get bored even more quickly than when they're studying Ohm's Law.

sbkrobson, Pomza and magic surf bus like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I taught lessons... erm... yeah...

You don't have to press play.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I always taught Nursery or Reception and kept some structure until the very end. Christmas based puzzles and games (the Interactive Whiteboard was a boon for this) alternated with more active things. Just letting them loose or making them sit for long periods to watch a film would have been a nightmare and made my life harder. It would be more difficult if you have children coming to you from a different teacher with a different way of doing things.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The problem isn't just the last day though is it? I always found the timetable beginning to crumble at least a week before due to constant withdrawals for choir/concert practices and performances with feeder primaries, and getting ready for the pensioners' party and all that stuff. I was lucky to be able to pin down an entire class for an hour's learning in the run up to end of term.

14. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

The last week is easier and more relaxed. Why not? I've worked in factories, offices and in sales. Everyone slacks off, it is human nature and I don't understand why SLTs have no concept of this. Please don't forget we are dealing with children and not little robots. Join in the fun, bring in quizzes and films they will learn from. Share a classroom picnic and write some xmas songs.

There's more to learning than the curriculum so don't be so precious about it.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am doing 5 day a week cover. Today (we finish tomorrow) I have had yr 11 English. Exams are done, they don't want to work. Currently yr 7 Computing. Their teacher has been absent for the last 4 or 5 weeks. They have had nothing but fill in lessons since. They have managed about 30 mins of the coding activity before they all collapsed from boredom. So now most of them are occupied playing some sort of football fantasy top trumps game. It is keeping them quiet.
    next up yr 9 Art. Teacher usually there so shouldn't be too bad. Then finally 2 lessons of maths. yr 10 followed by yr 11. Teacher has been away for a fortnight. Again exams have been done so whatever is set for them won't get done.
    This morning I overheard a conversation between 2 heads of house that said tomorrows plan has apparently been binned and something else put in its place. as yet no-one knows what that might be!

16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I think the best way to deal with it is to maintain a constant sparkly good humour.
    Irritates the hell out of everyone.

Mangleworzle and silkywave like this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I remember doing supply in the week up to Christmas in 1985 at a small highly disorganised but very friendly primary school. It was one long party. Every ten minutes someone seemed to shout "All in the hall for singing" and it was " Feed the woooorld ...." or "MUST BE SANTA, MUST BE SANTA ......." Quite mad. Pre National Curriculum and OFSTED. Some schools only had themselves to blame for what came next. And don't get me started on the school I went to in 1986. It really was a different world.

18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It is often easier to teach.

lanokia likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

As my classes only ever get shown dvds at the end of term, they do actually regard it as a real treat - even if they are French films which they have to really concentrate on in order to follow the sub-titles.

I showed Le Petit Nicolas to bottom set Year 8, and even the mouthy one who ripped his book up last week and kicked the table over (just back from a few days exclusion for that) sat for an hour in silence - really engrossed.

Year 11 enjoyed Les Choristes. I watched them as they watched: riveted to the screen. And a (genuinely) spontaneous round of applause at the end, and comments: "that was a sick film". When else would south London boys get to enjoy a bit of French culture?

silkywave, lanokia, Idiomas11 and 2 others like this.
  20. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

On the last day of any term , teachers are sorting out, this,, that the other.
    In early years it is business as usual .... everyone else has gone home and the poor nursery teacher is alone, cleaning up and sorting out this, that, and the other.
    And writing up the Christmas Observations for PSED and KU or whatever they call themselves now.

InkyP likes this.