1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is TES asking the questions?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Treefayre2, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

This is the American way of doing things. What happened to good old fashioned British debate?

2. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I believe the intent is to promote discussion on the education news items published by TES

Proposition, Opposition and Debate from the floor?
    I think they amalgamated the last two in an attempt to liven things up

3. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

I agree. It is just odd that TES asks questions. They lack imagination, passion and don't focus on what those on the chalkface are feeling. There are some days where only a handful of posts are made so I guess they are trying to stimulate interest. And failing.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's less effective as a tool to promote debate and discussion because the topics are taken from reports or are in the news in other ways. That does not necessarily reflect what posters wish to discuss and debate.

It's felt a bit forced, but I do applaud the attempt to generate traffic.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Because we already know what we think about the majority of topics as were are mostly time-served teachers. Therefore we are unlikely to start a thread saying something like "Is it time to scrap Ofsted?".

Traffic has to be generated...

Vince_Ulam likes this.