1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is teaching a good career again?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by wibble2510, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Hi everyone
    i'm feeling a bit rubbish at the moment and I am trying to remember why I gave up my job to become a teacher.
    Can anyone help me out by telling me what they love about teaching and why its a great job?
    Thanks (sorry to be a debbie downer!)

2. Hi everyone
    i'm feeling a bit rubbish at the moment and I am trying to remember why I gave up my job to become a teacher.
    Can anyone help me out by telling me what they love about teaching and why its a great job?
    Thanks (sorry to be a debbie downer!)

3. Hi
    I am an NQT PE teacher. Although I spend almost my entire life involved in school work, I love the job and seeing kids achieve skills and performances that they never felt possible, is just brilliant. There is also a real sense of achievement when a group that were initially highly problematic start behaving and working well as a result of strategies that you have put into action.

It is a tough job but if you are keen to become a teacher, keep up the work and good luck.

4. I understand where you're coming from - I gave up a good job with bonuses 15 years ago to be a teacher.
    It has been great for me over the years - I've been able to see my kids grow up and be with them in the holidays - not because I don't work long hours but because I can work after they've gone to bed.
    The rewards in the classroom have been great.
    It's not so great now as I find all the extra admin, meetings etc getting in the way of teaching. In fact, in my school at least, teaching is way down the list of priorities. I'm tired of working seven nights and five days a week just to keep up with marking, new initiatives etc.
    So
    I'm making up my own job and aim to work from home when I like.
    I've been working on it for a few months and writing a blog about my experiences. I can make pocket money vey easily but I'm building up to what I hope ismuch more - in my own time, when I like. It doesn't cost to start up either - win, win!
    Have a look at http://cashinthearmchair.blogspot.com/
    and/or http://cashinthearmchair.blogspot.com/p/clixsense-do-it-you-cant-lose.html
    Keep your current job and quit when you've got a good income coming in from this.

Good luck

5. This is going off topic, but your website is difficult to read! Light brown lettering on bright blue background isn't easy to read. [​IMG]

6. Thanks for that - don't quite know why - it looks like blue on pale background to me so I'll try to find out what's happening.
    Des

7. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

Hi, i am also a PE NQT!!
    why it is a good job ( i constantly have to remind myself of this!)
    Because a simple smile and good morning can cheer you up.
    Because a simple 'watch me i did it' can make your day
    Because for a pupil to say 'that was well fun' (they were actually working and progressing) after a lesson can make your whole day
    Because the banter and relationships you can build with pupils is priceless
    Because a simple progression of a child throughout the year in your class, makes every single bad day insignificant, every early morning where you wanted to fall back into bed unimportant, time you wanted to scream or cry and missing a social event WORTH IT!!

8. felicitycornish

felicitycornish New commenter

Someone once recommended to me the idea of keeping a diary of positives - as you go along, writing down things in school that were rewarding or made you smile. I'd really recommend it: when you can't see the wood for the trees you can read back over it and remind yourself of all the good things that have happened while you've been teaching. Even if it's only small things, if you write them down over time, you end up with quite a few and it's good for cheering you up and helping you to keep going! It won't help you right now, but if you start to keep one, you'll have it next time you feel like this!

9. ......for that moment when their faces light up to see you after you have been off sick for a couple of days....
    .....for the laughter you can share....
    ....for the times they call you 'Mum' by mistake.....
    ...for the times you realise the school buses are there filling up and no-one wants the lesson to end...

I am in my NQT year and remember this time last year sooooo well. I was ready to quit. I think there is something about this time of year for me, so I treasure those little moments that make me smile and give that warm fuzzy feeling. I try and forget the negative feelings and learn from what caused them then move on.

Love the idea of writing them down - think I need a shopping trip to purchase (another) nice notebook!

10. A lot of people think they'll try teaching because "you get great holidays"! I've lost count of the number of people who've said to me "I could always become a teacher" because they don't know what else to do with their degree.
    It is a great job but only if your heart is in it - otherwise you'll never cope with all the demands and extra workload out of hours. I've known several people who completed a PGCE but then realised it wasn't for them once they had their own class.
    To be honest, if you've only been teaching a short while and you're not happy then I think you should think about doing something else. If you loved what you did before then maybe you should return to it. I suppose it depends why you gave that up.

Of course, if you're just going through a rough time just now you should think about what made you want to become a teacher in the first place and if it's lived up to that expectation!
    Everybody moans about their work - it's normal! And it is a hard job - if it was easy EVERYONE would be doing it!
    x

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Thia has been one of my most supprising ones, even when I had a terrible set 12/12 Year 7 Sceince group. (Okay I exaggerate Set 4/4) who were constantly vile, but really, genuinly missed me for a week I was on a trip. Bless 'em

NB: Teaching can be the best and worst job in the world all in 30 seconds!

12. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

One other thing that has just occured to me. I did Student Associates while I was at uni (basically some training, then 3 weeks work as a TA) In one of the training sessions a retired headteacher did a motivational talk that really inspired me. He said when he was at social occasions and people askead what job he did: e replied "I weave magic everyday, I am a teacher." Really cheesy, but was so heartfelt and has stuck with me years later. (I am in my third year of teaching this year.)

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

August.

14. [​IMG]

15. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

16. I've been teaching for six years now and can assure you that at about this time every year I start to wonder if I can carry on for much longer. However by the beginning of the Easter term I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. There is something about the dark December days, arriving at school in the dark and not leaving until after dark that is thoroughly depressing, the kids are hyper thinking about christmas and the staff are all exhausted.
    Please stick it out until summer and you will see that teaching is one of the best jobs in the world. (it just doesn't seem like it at the moment)

17. ...when somebody in bottom set, Y10, suddenly interrupts the conversation to tell you they're wearing two pairs of trousers, and their class mate says, "That's nothing, I've got my pyjamas on", and promptly rolls their trouser leg up to show tartan flannelette.

... when one of the school troublemakers gives you a piece of chocolate while you're on a very lonely and miserable duty.

...when you make a very grumpy teenager crack into a smile, despite their clear urge not to.

18. Blue on a pale blue background here, very clear and easy to read!!