1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is Sunday the third day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

"on the third day he rose again". But by my calculation it is the second day. Crucified on Friday and risen on Sunday- fewer than 48 hours later. Did they have a different system of calculation back then. I know that in Greece one is 2 on one's first birthday and 3 on one's 2nd. But it does make for confusion.

2. I've always thought that it meant Friday was the first day, Saturday the second, and Sunday the third.

These words were written a long time ago. Meanings change, I guess.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've also wondered this for many years, Nutsy. I remember being told to shut up about it at Sunday school.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

He was arrested on the Thursday.
    Then on Friday He was crucified....day 1
    Saturday ...day 2
    Sunday would be day 3

That's my logic for it!

5. Friday- 1st day
    Saturday- 2nd
    Sunday- 3rd

6. It's only voodoo.

But anyway, Friday=day 1
    Saturday=day 2
    Sunday= day 3: the third day.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Day 1 crucified
    Day 2 (Saturday) Sabbath day
    Day 3 resurrected.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is this relevant? He probably did a bit of carpentry on the Wednesday.

9. On the first day he was crucified, on the second he was dead all day (Sat), on the third he rose.It's the same as after 2 days. I started teaching in 2010- that was my first year of teaching, so 2011 was my 2nd yr and 2012 was my 3rd yr, but I have been teaching for 2 years. ( More like in my 23rd year, but that would have gone on too long...)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Same here. Fancy that for a coincidence!

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sorry Nutella....TES posted before I expected!....I had to 'edit' to finish my train of thought!....

it does look like an odd statement on its own!

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Wasn't he out on the **** on Wednesday?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just consulted google and found a long article by a John Schoenheit who reckons jesus was crucified on Wednesday and rose on Saturday. Clearly it has been a puzzle for others than Middly and me.

14. anteater

anteater New commenter

What a beautiful name

15. The Gospels make a clear chronological case for the Friday as being the day Christ was crucified and, importantly, buried in the tomb as the bodies would not be left hanging on crosses on the Sabbath - Saturday. And on the Sunday morning - or "When the sabbath was past," (as the AV for S. Mark's Gospel has it), Mary Mag, Mary the mother of Jesus and Salome went to anoint the body and found Him missing - risen as it happens. S. Luke tells us it was "the first day of the week" - Sunday. So, a simple explanation, really.

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm pretty sure I remember being taught that 'three days' meant quite a short time and '40 days' meant quite a long time - neither being necessarily accurate.
    I guess if we believe the NT thought it really was Friday to Sunday, either side of the Sabbath.

17. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

So when reading a 2000 year old story about a bloke coming back to life after being nailed to a cross, the first thing you thought to question was on which particular day he returned to life on?

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Were we all together at Sunday School then?

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I hate to be picky and pull the 'I know a lot about the Romans' card, but many of those crucified by the Romans were left on the crosses for days or even weeks. That Jesus' friends were allowed to take down his body is unusual.

20. 576

576 Established commenter

Quite right.
    I think what Arthur Dent (say hi to Trillian for me next time you see her) means is.
    Had the disciples not taken the body down before sunset on Friday (when the Sabbath starts) the body would've hung there till Sunday because taking it down would've broken the Sabbath Law.
    Jewish days go from sunset to sunset.
    So... Jesus died at 3pm on Friday - he was then taken down and hurriedly buried before sunset That's day 1.
    He spent all of Saturday (which ends at Saturday Sunset) in the tomb - day 2.
    So when the women go to the tomb on Sunday morning it's already well into day 3.

I'm horrified that anybody who can't explain this would be teaching sunday school