1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is Singapore so popular/ competitive for jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by hairdo, Mar 28, 2019.

1. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I was actually responding mainly to another poster that felt oppressed by the focus on fines and people all facing the same way and not talking on the MRT (hence the perceptions comment). We did not get that vibe at all (in our admittedly short time there). Although here in Tokyo not talking on your phone or disturbing other people is considered politeness and not a symptom of oppression or fear of being fined.

We have lived in a variety of places from tasty to mild (e.g. Egypt, Beijing, Germany, Tokyo) and have enjoyed them all to a great extent for different reasons. Our current gigs near Tokyo are probably too good to give up so we probably won't move again until we retire but we do like to travel, check out possibilities and keep our options open.

I'm a firm believer in different strokes for different people. I can't imagine wanting to live/teach in the ME or South America but if it works for others then I am happy for them.

2. MrsCurious

MrsCurious New commenter

I am a Singapore person ! I think it’s a lovely blend of East and West and has much more culture then people suggest if you make the effort to get away from the very expatty areas. It’s multi cultural, tolerant, clean and safe and the perfect place to live to visit other parts of Asia cheaply and easily.
    I first lived there a few years ago as a trailing spouse - my little children loved it, it’s super kid friendly, and whilst me and my husband got a bit claustrophobic sometimes it’s very easy to get away for a weekend.

I’m heading back in July for a contract and can’t wait! The international schools are mostly good and there is a strong expat support network. The weather is hard work though!

3. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

bumped up....Singapore comes up regularly! Any more views/ opinions about it as a place to live and work? how does it compare with Malaysia?