1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is my cat doing this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by charlene_bell, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Recently my cat has been doing some pretty odd stuff. Firstly she no longer eats her food when its put down, instead she tries to bury it dragging her paws across the tiles. Sometimes I go to give her, her dinner and her breakfast is still there.
    The other weird thing she does is drink out of the taps instead of her water bowl and tonight she even started drinking my bath water [​IMG] She gets fresh water ever day and I've even started changing it twice a day to try and stop her.

Has my cat lost the plot?

2. Recently my cat has been doing some pretty odd stuff. Firstly she no longer eats her food when its put down, instead she tries to bury it dragging her paws across the tiles. Sometimes I go to give her, her dinner and her breakfast is still there.
    The other weird thing she does is drink out of the taps instead of her water bowl and tonight she even started drinking my bath water [​IMG] She gets fresh water ever day and I've even started changing it twice a day to try and stop her.

Has my cat lost the plot?

3. Your cat sound s a bit insecure about the food. Have she had any other cats about - maybe through the catflap. i had a cat who kept trying to bury her food once. She was a very hungry rescue cat and maybe felt a bit underconfident.
    AS for the water, i think a lot of cats do that bath and running tap thing,

4. No other cats, we live in a flat and she's an indoor cat so doesn't see any other moggies.
    Glad other cats drink from the bath I though it was a bit grim. Know she enjoys hopping in after me but drinking it is a bit much.

5. Hi, my cat does the exact same thing. The "burying" of the food - this usually happens if I put down something she just doesnt like. Perhaps it smells horrible to her and she's trying to bury it instinctively? Try her with a different cat food and see if she eats it.
    Drinking from the tap - my cat does this too; not sure why, I think she actually enjoys it! She too has clean water in a bowl, but prefers to drink outside or from the tap. The only time I've ever seen her drink from her bowl was when we had that freezing weather in December. I think her usual haunts (neighbours' ponds) were frozen. This is the only thing I can think of.

6. Cats prefer running water - its just a natural instinct. They also prefer 'stale' water as they are used to drinking from puddles/plants outdoors - changing to fresh water that often is actually off-putting to them because of the chemical taste in fresh water.
    As for the food burying that is also common, mine occasionally does it and tips it everywhere - I wouldnt worry, but I would try her with something new. Occasionally cats just become fussy and go on hunger strike until you satisfy their cravings! If the new food doesnt work, try putting dried down so at least if she doesnt eat it straight away she can graze through the day.

7. My family cats perfer to drink from fish tanks and ponds over anything else. They are completly disinterested in the fish it's just their water. We call it fish tea as a result. They also quite like glasses of water by the bed. Cats are wonderful creatures who have very distinct personalities and traits. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy this as part of who she is. Well maybe not the burying food.

8. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

OP - the short answer is your cat is doing this because she is a cat. It's what they do.

9. Yea lots of female cats in particular do this. She is rejecting the food ( roast chicken or tuna please) and my female cats prefers the toilet water to anything I put in a bowl. So much fresher!

10. I saw a programme with some mad America animal psychologist who said that because cats like running water and don't asociate water and food together as humans do we should all install indoor water fountains on all floors of the house, away from feeding stations. I rushed to follow that advice, naturally. now if she'd said chocolate fountains....

11. My cat used to do the burying of the food thing all the time. He's an only cat. More recently, he has stopped doing it and I've no idea why he started or why he's stopped. I think he's a bit mad...this view is further enforced by him liking to drink fresh water out of a plastic drinking glass, rather than his bowl. If he sees a glass of water on the side you can guarantee in 20 seconds time he will be up there drinking from it.
    He is fascinated by water and sinks in general, and loves to sit in the sink and try to 'catch' the water and play with it. He has had the occasional drink from the tap but hasn't quite worked out how to do that effectively yet. I'm sure he will...
    One of my other cats tried to walk on bubbles created by bubble bath once...he's long-haired...

12. Thanks so much for your replies guys. I've never had a cat before so any time she odes anything a bit odd I panic. She's my baby and I'd hate anything to happen to her.Guess I am just going to have to realise that cats a changeable creatures.
    Some of your stories really made me laugh. Especially the bubble bath, my cat tried that too
    [​IMG]

13. I have two cats. My big boy cat eats his food, then most of my little girl cat's food - then tries to bury his bowl! I had a fab little book on cats' behaviour and in there it said it was normal and gave the reason why - but I can't remember why and I don't know what I've done with that book!
    Also, big boy cat loves, loves, loves water! He will try to drink out of the tap, and sometimes bathwater (although he doesn't do that as much as he used to).
    I read somewhere about putting water away from where their food is. So we have a bowl at the other side of the kitchen from where they feed, and we also have one in the bathroom. This has encouraged little girl cat to drink - as otherwise she wasn't doing so.

14. My neutered male is one fussy so and so. He is always hungry but gets tired of one type of food really quickly and is constantly 'burying' it. I have run out of types of food to give him. His favourite thing to eat is ham but that's bad for him so it's only allowed as a treat. He prefers the water out of my fish ponds and even the loo if the seat is up. I bought a cat water fountain but my other cat decided it was a fun game to remove all the water onto the floor from the bowl as soon as it filled up.
    He will also pee in the sink, sit on command, open doors and play catch so he's quite a character.

15. I read somewhere that if they really like their food they try to bury it to make sure no other animal can eat it! Cats are odd little creatures though - fabulous - but odd!

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Get ready for a lifetime of panic! Cats do odd things all the time. They like to be in charge!

17. [​IMG]
    I've a cat that was fascinated by tap water - until she tested the texture with her paw!!
    I'd no idea that burying food was so common though - interesting.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our cat went through a stressy time and started over-grooming her back legs to the point where they were going bald. The vet advised a using Feliway pheromone dispenser, and it worked. If you get one though, don't pay vet prices - get one online.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

PS: Our cat's 14 years old and I've only seen her drink twice. One of those times it was from a puddle. Cats get most of their moisture from their food. It's not necessarily a bad sign if a cat doesn't drink much. Our other cat used to slurp water down each day and died aged 10 from thyroid problems.

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Your cat has possibly picked up a parasite from another cat, and said parasite is chewing its way through your cat's brain.