1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is Libya not mentioned much these days?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does everyone remember the heroic and noble intervention in 2011 when Western forces overthrew the tyranny of Gaddafi and ushered in an era of peace and harmony?

And things have been calm and tranquil there ever since! A testament to the power of dropping bombs on people to ensure political stability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35249860

At least 47 people have been killed by a truck bomb targeting a police training centre in the western Libyan city of Zliten, reports say.

Media in Libya said the attack struck the al-Jahfal training camp.

The camp was a military base during the rule of ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Still OK, one little attack...

In a separate attack, a suicide bomber killed six people at the entrance to Ras Lanuf, a major oil port in northern Libya.

One of those killed was a 16-month-old child, according to Osama al-Hodeiri, a spokesman for the security forces that guard the oil facilities.

"A driver in a Toyota Land Cruiser blew himself up at a checkpoint at the entrance to the town of Ras Lanuf," he said, adding that three guards had also been killed.

Yeah but nothing else bad is going on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35248594

[​IMG]

Shelling by so-called Islamic State (IS) on an oil terminal in Libya has started fires that have spread to giant storage tanks, officials say.

The fires are reported to be raging in Sidra, on the coast between Sirte and Benghazi.

Officials said at least 10 guards had been killed since IS attacked the neighbouring ports on Monday.

Warplanes from Libya's internationally recognised government have provided air support to help defend the area.

Libya has been split between rival militias and two competing governments since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011

The people of Syria and Iraq can rest easy knowing that their countries are in safe hands!

[​IMG]

palmtree100 and sabrinakat like this.
  2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

It's tragic. I grew up in Libya and weep for the country it was.

palmtree100 and InkyP like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I loathed [got it right @Flere-Imsaho ;)] and wasn't fussed either way at his death.... but the disastrous state that the country has sunk to... no wonder so many are fleeing across the Med [and using Libya as a through route]

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It has all gone down hill since the Romans left....

On a more serious note, though, it must be devastating to be in a war zone and nobody cares. Hugs to you cosmosinfrance...

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Difficult isn't it - Gaddafi was a monster who carried out unspeakable abuses on his own people, but did rule the country with an iron hand, stoppage dissent. Removing that did lead to all the chaos we see today.

But, I seem to remember that the West was loathe to intervene, the local Libyan population rose against Gaddafi, and only when his troops threatened a massacre in Benghazi did we start a limited intervention. Not sure the West can be blamed over what has happened since - would our 'boots on the ground' have helped matters? I doubt it.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Getting a truly stable govt is going to take a while even if they stop fighting amongst themselves

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

He was a dictator and there were human rights abuses and lack of freedom of speech but people were housed and fed and able to go about their daily business. I was born there and visited in 2004/5 Christmas/New Year period, I couldn't say I would have wanted to live there but I didn't feel unsafe and people were friendly to us. When I saw what was done to Gadaffi when they ousted him it was obvious that nothing good would follow.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Every time (almost) we have intervened in the middle east we have made the situation worse, you would think by now the powers that be might have learned. I suppose oil has a lot to do with it:(

palmtree100 and bonkers 704 like this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

If you recall, the details of what exactly was done to Gaddafi after they caught him were glossed over at the time. No one wanted to be the first to take the shine off of the Arab Spring and the exciting new world it was claimed to augur.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why is it not mentioned?

Er, because we don't need them for anything? Because we no longer have business interests there? Because we don't care that much if there's nothing in it for US?

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Libya is a dangerous place to be, there are many guns around in Tripoli. I still speak to former students there and it's not safe to visit. I went on a cruise in 2009 and we called at Benghazi, Al-Khums (for Leptis Magna) and Tripoli. We all felt very safe there and the people were lovely, as have been all the students I've taught from there. It is a beautiful country and Sabratha is stunning.
    Yes Gaddafi did many bad things but the country was united and safe. All education was free, every home had electricity and running water, women were given the equivalent of $5,000 every time they had a child, dental and health treatment were also very cheap. In addition men and women were sent here to learn English and the Libyan Government paid their fees and living expenses at colleges and universities.

palmtree100, bonkers 704 and InkyP like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

I am going to sound like a Neanderthal here but taking a country like Afghanistan (which isn't really a single united entity) and expecting it to behave like the UK or France just isn't on.

But if you do want to deal with a head of state then it's going to have to be a very strong one with a lot of backing in order to subdue rival factions. That man (not threatened by the lower echelons) may very well have a very benign relationship with the bulk of the people and afford them a good education and welfare. He will however have to be ruthless in his dealings when challenged. We saw this in Iraq and Libya. It made for greater stability for us and for the majority of the local populace.

But (for good and/or ill) the dictators are gone and we have what we have. We should hardly be surprised.

Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

I quote in full but the second half is the oft-quoted maxim.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Grumpy, Gaddafi was sodomized with a bayonet, if you must know. If that doesn't take the positive shine off an event, I don't know what does. No wonder they didn't want to mention it.

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Things like that will happen in those situations

Many concentration camp guards, german soliders and even german civilians were lynched / killed in the closing stages of WW2. Those things are not right but should not detract from anything else

Libya is yet another mess "we" had a very big hand in, and then left behind us in the rear view mirror as we drove off blissfully down the road.

palmtree100 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

The perennial problem.

To keep the peace you may have to be pretty brutal and make a few enemies. If you lose the upper hand you will be treated mercilessly.

Far less embarrassing to have him butchered and consigned to history than to have him live and appeal to his friend Tony for moral support.

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In an ideal world men like Bin Laden, Hussain and Gaddafi would have stood trial in The Hague and faced international justice. Sadly the world is not 'ideal'.

When the Libya intervention was posited initially I was supportive. Benghazi was the centre of a 'democratic' revolt and should not be suppressed by military force. However, the aftermath of that action has been very poorly handled [to the point of nothing] by the Western powers. Our interventions need to be a lot better thought out.

Interesting point... Iraq only saw the rise of ISIS after the withdrawal of most Western forces. Afghanistan only saw the resurgence of the Taliban and the emergence of ISIS after Western forces left. Obviously I'm not suggesting unending occupation... but boots on the ground 'may' have been able to make a difference, maybe in support of nascent democratic government forces.

But 'What ifs' are always difficult...

18. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

19. johnnymitchell

Apart from the underage girls he raped and the citizens he tortured to death everybody had a really good time.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Middle_East/libya/article1131919.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-tortured-people-in-shipping-containers.html

20. johnnymitchell

And then of course there's Lockerbie.

I'm sure Russia Today can tell us plenty of garbage about that.