1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it you can see twenty fabulous, happy parents at Parents' Evening, but...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Twinkles, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

....it's always the two moany ones that you dwell on?
    Had to mention 'attitude' to Y6 parents and just got told that 'he's bored' and 'you're not stretching him so it's no wonder he's switched off' Not sure exactly how I managed to stay calm as I explained that there was always extension work available but their son was too busy messing around and making silly errors to ever get on to it!
    Now keep wondering if they are right so I feel like rubbish.

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

....it's always the two moany ones that you dwell on?
    Had to mention 'attitude' to Y6 parents and just got told that 'he's bored' and 'you're not stretching him so it's no wonder he's switched off' Not sure exactly how I managed to stay calm as I explained that there was always extension work available but their son was too busy messing around and making silly errors to ever get on to it!
    Now keep wondering if they are right so I feel like rubbish.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Stay cool - we've all come across them. Dear pampered little geniuses (genii) who could do anything they want to turn their hand to, only it's much more fun to fiddle about. Don't want to waste energy on boring stuff do we?
    it'll be your fault for the next fifty years!
    P

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Fe.ck them. They're typical of the many these days who find it impossible to take responsibility.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Funny you should say that as I've just come back from a parents'evening. Just the one who was trying to find a problem where there was none at all.

6. i teach gat children in a school known for its gat provision
    i have had children pass through my classroom who were awe-inspiringly intelligent and a joy to teach. who outstripped regular lesons without even trying.
    and not once - not once - has any of their parents claimed their kids are bored/unchallenged/hard done by/playing up because of same
    the parents of less intelligent children, however .....

7. I've also come back from a parents' evening - had to mention behaviour once or twice, and thank god no-one said, 'He's bored'. I wouldn't have been able to contain myself. I've been lucky so far (touch wood) that parents tend to nod grimly and say 'That's what his other teachers said too' when behaviour is brought up...

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

And I've just got back from a parent's evening (the other way round) where I was told off for not hearing my fluently reading son read 3x a week and signing the book (sorry, I've just got a new job and ofsted came to call, I have 3 children - one with profound special needs - and I'm completely worn out), and now I feel like a bad parent, I have a horrid stress headache and my nose has gone numb.
    Hey ho. Can't win 'em all. Good thing I love him to bits, whatever he does.
    (however, if she tells me again how he's 'not as bright as all that' when all I have done is express my pleasure in him I might just have to deck her!!
    I'll stop now before I get all ranty!!![​IMG]

9. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Thanks for your support - feeling better today since the parents seem to have had a 'chat' with the child in question and we had a good day!
    Clear_air - if that's a direct quote from your son's teacher, I'm shocked! I would never dream of saying that to a parent (even if I felt it could be justified)

10. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

I'm still fuming from the parent (beginning of Jan) who said all the teachers were responsible for the fact that there were so many behaviour problems in his daughter's Y9 form (many which had been exaggerated by daughter to get herself out of trouble) because we refuse to make them leave the school!
    When I explained that it is not within our power to do that (Oh, how I wish we could!) and that, in fact, I regularly chucked out the miscreants from my lessons only to have them return the following day, he came back with, "Well, you all get lots of vacations where you're paid for doing nothing, so you don't care!"
    Where the f*** did that come from?
    I was shaking by the time he went. But rest assured, the following day his daughter couldn't even sniff without me on her back, quoting her father. Not the girl's fault, but hey ... life sucks! (And it was only for one lesson)

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

To be honest, and in her defence, she might not use those words, but that is how I take them. She's quite keen to ***** any bubble I have of my little dahlink being the brightest and the best (because, obviously, being he mother, I think it is my job to think this!!), and knows I'm a teacher, I suppose... Ah, well. He likes her, and he's actually making progress in her class (lazy little toerag, I'm not completely blind to his faults[​IMG]), si who am I to rock the boat!
    Lucky, lucky me - I have yet to do a parents' evening at my new school - I can face it all from the other side too!! Oh, happy, happy day!

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've had a lovely parents evening tonight; all parents very charming and supportive, but all very well versed on levels, targets, 'action points' etc. It's nice they taken an interest, but I'd much rather just say "Your sone is lovely. Well done you" and send them on their way. Lol.
    A couple of years ago, we had these crazy parent consultation days where parents came in for 20 minutes to meet with their child's form tutor. I had one parents who deliberately booked the last appointment of the day just so he could have a go at me.
    He started off by accusing me of swearing at his daughter (not true) and believe it or not, that was the highlight of the meeting.
    He next proceeded to go on and on about the Maths department which was, unfortunately, under-staffed at the time due to the school not being able to recruit, the HOD being on long-term sick and new staff not being able to start until Easter. They were all doing their best however, to ensure that all pupils got the correct teaching.
    But this parent wasn't having any of it. He started demanding that I quote the Maths results from the previous year, then said I was useless when I couldn't (I'm an English teacher so didn't know the ins and outs of the Maths figures). Then he complained about his daughter's teacher being absent (she was forced to take early maternity leave due to a medical condition - the one where you basically cannot move until the baby is born). When I explained that she was on maternity leave, he told me that the school shouldn't employ female teachers so they couldn't ruin his daughter's education by having babies. I reasoned that this was against the law, but he didn't seem to care.
    In the end, I told him that I wasn't prepared to continue the conversation with him and that I would call the HT to talk to him about his concerns if he wished. He left.
    The HT did send a rather fabulous letter to him, however, telling him that he was no longer welcome on school property due to harrassing staff.