1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why is it you can never fully switch off?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by barcleycard, May 6, 2012.

1. Hi, why is it i can never fully switch off? i work so hard in the week i.e. getting into school at 7 leaving at 5.00 and working late on the computer just so i can have the weekend off. When it comes to the weekend i always feel guilty for not doing work and end up doing a little bit and constantly thinking of things of work. Why does teaching make us feel like this?

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I don't know why but I feel the same. Though to be honest, I've had to just keep telling myself that I deserve a break sometimes and that if I don't, I'll just burn out. I'm in my training year though so I've got lots of things to juggle and I'm hoping it won't be quite so bad once I'm qualified and through my NQT year. So I can't tell you why, just wanted to say it's not just you and that you deserve to have a break and some 'you' time.

3. Glad its not just me. Your NQT year is hard but you will get through it. i am on long term supply and the school is in special measures so the pressure is on. I have only been there a week and a half but due to previous circumstances the planning and tracking was so far behind i have had to play catch up as well as move the class forward. What year are you in?

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Well that's why then, you've got a huge amount of pressure on you! I think that's a major part of it, we have so many demands, so many targets to meet, so much progress to be made etc. that it's bloody hard work and so you can't help but think about it a lot and worry that you're not doing enough. I'm doing my PGCE so near the end, I'm in Year 2.