1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it that.....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

• My house is clean and tidy
    • I am up to date with all the washing and ironing
    • My cold is nearly gone
    • I have no bags under my eyes
    • My paperwork is all up to date
    • I feel very relaxed
    • I've been eating well
    • I have caught up with friends and family
    • I've seen a film and nearly finished the book which has been on my bedside table since Christmas
    • I've been sleeping well and waking up feeling refreshed.
    Why is it that give it a couple of weeks and I will be back to chaos at home and feeling completely knackered?
    Why do teachers allow their work to take over their life so much?
    What can we do to change things so we are this "better holiday" version of ourselves in term time too?

OTH x

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I never did. That's where you're going wrong.

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I don’t let work overwhelm my life and I work full time, having said that it’s taken 20+ years to get to this point. I love my job but love my home and family too.

1 person likes this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I wish I had just a fraction of this during the holidays. Everything feels like chaos at the moment. I’m behind on everything and every day more stuff piles in.

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Since I got back from rain sodden Yorkshire I've marked all my exam papers and recorded them on the online spreadsheet we have.

I'm also sleeping well and I don't really feel under any great pressure at school.

What I'm really looking forward to is being able to do my evening bike rides when the weather improves a bit.

6. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

It's all to do with expectations.
    Our own expectations and those that are imposed.
    There are only so many hours in a day and when you are at work and you don't get through, the
    • planning
    • marking
    • paperwork
    • After school meetings/ activities
    You then either stay late, go in early or both.
    Miss lunch, miss break(s), bring work home.
    The consequences
    • tiredness
    • housework not done
    • not healthy eating
    • depression
    • cancelling social visits (again)
    • if you're in a relationship it depends on their work commitment, how the relationship continues.
    I suffered burnout and had to resign,(after 25 years ) I went from HoD with 15 staff to nothing. Eventually, I did some supply then took Y10&11 exam classes only in a local school.
    My life only changed for the better when I went part-time but I was missing the money. Even though I do get stressful times.

When marking Y11 mocks after Christmas my cousin arrived for a visit, I told her I couldn't let her in as was on speed marking and was not due to have a break yet. She smiled and made a hasty retreat.

If someone finds the answer to the teacher Utopia I am waiting to hear all about it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Ouch!

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm better now that I work 4 days a week - the three day weekend seems to allow more time to keep up with everything at home and still have some 'me' time. While I always end up doing some school work, I'm very careful not to spend my whole day off on it!
    Perhaps that's the answer - a four day week of school for all!

9. HistoryEducator

Day off Wednesday, did my jobs till 11 am.
    Then sat and forensically marked 40 exam essay questions (30 mins of a timed essay).
    Put my pen down at 4.30 pm (had a short lunch break)
    The payback though was thanks from my Y10 classes on Thursday.
    I still have 40 short essays from my Y11 that need marking and I deliberately left them in school over the weekend.

10. Over_the_hill

I do love my job but I sometimes I feel resentful that I don't have any sort of social life in the term time. I am too blooming knackered (I'm no spring chicken). I know I need to make life more enjoyable rather than just counting down the days until the next break - but I am sure I am not the only teacher that lives from holiday to holiday! Thank you for your replies anyway - plenty for me to ponder over.

BertieBassett2 and agathamorse like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to feel like that but I started to move things around a bit so I would have an evening during the week to do something fun. This I now do on a Thursday evening when I do a bit of sport.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

May I recommend early retirement?:D

Jesmond12, catmother, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  13. Over_the_hill

Got a few years to go before I can do that, but it is somewhere on the horizon!

Jamvic, BertieBassett2 and primarycat like this.
  14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have achieved most things on your list but have not managed to shift my cold. As a result I haven't been sleeping well and don't feel particularly refreshed.

I have done some walking but have limited other activities. That has left more time to get ahead with school work. I am pleased to have taken some pressure off but wish I felt better.

15. Over_the_hill

I was ill for well over a week before we broke up so was thoroughly cheesed off. I hope you feel better soon. X

BertieBassett2 and agathamorse like this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eh?
    You're doing it back to front.
    You like cleaning too much.
    Why would you spend your holiday time getting your house in order when you can go outside and get about?
    My house is a complete scuzz world tip in the holidays for this reason, but during term time I get back home from work and think, "Ach, my freedom of spirit today has already been wasted on obligation so I might as well spoil the rest of the day cleaning up as well"
    Cannot wait to get back to work tomorrow as I'll be able to come home and feel motivated enough to clean ten day's worth of dishes. Kinda running out of teaspoons at this point-been squeezing out the teabag with those dessert forks you never actually use.
    ...in fact there is some actual rustling in the corner as I type. Suppose I'd better go investigate...ach, na, leave it til tomorrow which will already be spoiled by work.

17. HistoryEducator

What is the most tiring aspect of my life is that I have lost my sleep pattern after the death of my husband.
    If I can get a 2-hour block before waking up its a good night. I get 2-hour blocks between 11.30 pm and 7 am.
    Sometimes you have to realise you can't control things.

18. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

As I said in my earlier post on this thread I don’t let work overwhelm me but it was initially hard to do.

A few years ago I did often (but not always) feel like a hamster in a wheel during term time and noticed I was getting snappy with family members etc. We also had a succession of serious illnesses amongst family members that included myself. All this made me look at life with a different perspective.

I made the decision that work was work and I had to separate it from the rest of my life. I work hard when I’m in school but have a cut off point on week nights and don’t work at weekends unless it’s something big like reports or writing/fiddling with a script for a show or assembly.

This has made a massive difference to my life and that of my close family. I still do count down to holidays but I enjoy term time much more as I’m not so exhausted.

19. Over_the_hill

I’m sorry about your husband @HistoryEducator.
    Thank you for your post @smurphy6. I will really try to separate work from home this half term. I do feel pleased that I didn’t pop into work at all this holiday and only thought about what I’m doing tomorrow at about 6pm tonight! That’s progress for me! :)

Jamvic likes this.
  20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I knew it was time for early retirement/escape when I could not achieve most of the list during the school holidays. Even the summer holiday brought no peace and that's no way to live.

1 person likes this.